Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Look ma, no plugins: the "Freaky details" effects, using of-the-shelf Gimp 2.10
(09-15-2021, 11:41 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 02:13 PM)Krikor Wrote: 05- Apply to Selective Gaussian Blur - defaults;

Instead of the "Selective gaussain blur" do  > Filters / G’MIC / Repair / Smooth [bilateral] (these 3 sliders are your friends)
It's what can be the closest of the closest of the PS "Surface blur" Wink

PixLab,
I know about this filter from G'MIC, but I never really know exactly which option is best when it comes to choosing among the various filters provided by G'MIC.

My PC crashed, so using little Gimp these days, but I'll remember this tip when I can get back to Gimp.

Thx!
Sharpness highlighted in the main object of the image is welcome (it is actually the object of this technique), but at the expense of producing noise in the adjacent areas.

I try Wavelet-Denoise and Smooth Anisotropic under a mask created with the technique described at https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...3#pid25483 . Not a bad result, but I think there could be a better technique for reducing noise without compromising the desired sharpness.

I don't mean the technique of creating the mask, but the selective use of noise reduction filters.
(01-19-2022, 09:29 PM)mathygreen Wrote: Sharpness highlighted in the main object of the image is welcome (it is actually the object of this technique), but at the expense of producing noise in the adjacent areas.

I try Wavelet-Denoise and Smooth Anisotropic under a mask created with the technique described at https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...3#pid25483 . Not a bad result, but I think there could be a better technique for reducing noise without compromising the desired sharpness.

I don't mean the technique of creating the mask, but the selective use of noise reduction filters.

Reading your comment reminded me of my opinion on this and that I should have commented something similar in this same topic.

Looking around I found my comment on post #9 and I saw that I was right. (In fact it is a quote from my post - "..." )

However, I still haven't found an ideal technique to overcome this side effect (production of extra noise).
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.