Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Convert some Photoshop resources (GDR and PAT files) to GIMP's
I usually find tons of resources for Photoshop (PS), like gradients (GDR) and patterns (PAT) on the many sites devoted to graphical illustration. I'm not having fun being unable to use GDR or PAT files into GIMP. So I searched for a way to either convert them automagically online or using a command-line tool on my terminal.

To my surprise, I finally could manage to get the resource to be used in GIMP:

For GDR Photoshop gradients, go to http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt...elect.html and upload your GDR file, tick the "convert all gradients in input (result is zipped)" box, set the selectors for input and output accordingly, and hit "Convert". Voilá!

For PAT Photoshop patterns, you need a terminal to follow some steps:

1. Make sure that libgimp2.0 and libgimp2.0-dev are installed
  2. Download (from registry.gimp.org) the text file ps-pat-load_1.c to /tmp (or somewhere else)
  3. Run the command 
    /tmp$ gimptool-2.0 --install ps-pat-load_1.c
  4. Restart GIMP
  5. Open the Photoshop .pat file. You will see each pattern contained in the file as a different layer.
  6. Select the layer-pattern you are interested in, save it as a new image with .pat extension on your user's directory ~/.gimp-2.8/patterns, and don't forget to include an appropiate description
  7. Refresh the Patterns tab
Now you can see it in the Patterns tab.

For Windows users: binaries are available at the Gimp registry.
(06-08-2017, 07:57 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: For Windows users: binaries are available at the Gimp registry.

ouch

Quote:Erreur !

La page que vous cherchez à visualiser n'existe pas...

Precompiled pattern loader files Win/linux/32/64 

http://gimpchat.com/download/file.php?id...5358cc95a6

linux users remember to use the correct 'flavour' 32 or 64 bit and set the file as executable.
(06-08-2017, 08:53 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 07:57 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: For Windows users: binaries are available at the Gimp registry.

ouch

Quote:Erreur !

La page que vous cherchez à visualiser n'existe pas...
Uh?
[Image: V09R2Bw.png]

And the link in it to Windows binaries compiled by Michael Schumacher himself also works.
[Image: COgDu12.jpg]
ah...
(06-08-2017, 08:53 AM)@rich2005: Wrote:
Quote:linux users remember to use the correct 'flavour' 32 or 64 bit and set the file as executable.
Yes, I know... 
Although I tried it, didn't work. That's why I used the compilation method.
It's good to learn new tricks, BTW
Thanks, anyway!
Hey guys,

I downloaded a .pat created in PS but it is not possible to use it in Gimp.

I'm researching a way around this, and landed on this page via two different external links.

Being a post from 2017 I think that a lot must have changed since then, and that maybe there is a simpler way to do this PS-pat to Gimp-pat conversion.

Here comes an error message:
gimp error
Failed to load data:
Error loading 'C:\...' Texture Patterns.pat': Fatal parse error in pattern file: Unknown pattern format version 65536.

How could I do this conversion (ps to Gimp)?

Thx.

I got the idea to use Photopea online.
Hard to find anything there, but I seem to be having success so far, albeit a tedious task in editing each .pat image one by one.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
(04-18-2023, 06:53 PM)Krikor Wrote: albeit a tedious task in editing each .pat image one by one.

Krikor, use XnConvert...

30-second video on how to convert Photoshop PAT to GIMP's PAT (or PNG if you wish) > https://imgur.com/O4eK9Ll

EDIT: Um... not working well, more or less like tossing a coin for head or tail, depending where I downloaded the PAT, or I got only the first "page" with all other Pages being the first one, or I got wrong colors or it's all black, or... Sad
@Krikor  Do you know which version of PS made the pattern ? 

A PS pattern .pat is very different from a Gimp .pat Most are multi-layer and if you put them in your patterns folder you get that typical error message. This one similar to yours

Error loading '/home/rich/gimp210/patterns/PJI-Paper Patterns.pat': Fatal parse error in pattern file: Unknown pattern format version 65536.

What is possible for (some) PS patterns is a pattern loader ps_pat_load plugin see: http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=...ext#p83933  That opens a PS pattern file same as you would any other image. File -> Open. Then you can export layer(s) for Gimp.

That reference is old and I do not know how it copes with up-to-date PS .pat files.  This is the most recent PS .pat I could easily find. Seems to be from 2020 but no info on the PS version used (comes from https://myphotoshopbrushes.com/patterns/id/3913/ ). Not something I use often, looks like I might have compiled the plugin myself for 64 bit linux sometime but the PS .pat looks like this opened in Gimp.