Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting my Logo to Vector
Hi All,

I have recently been undergoing Logo design and have now completed my logo :Big Grin

I am now trying to convert the image into Vector format with Inkscape as I have been reading in other posts however the text is going blocky and not crisp colours and outlines as it is in Gimp.

Is there a certain way I should be doing things in Gimp before this or can I do this any way inside of Gimp?

Thanks for any help Smile

see attached the logo I am trying to convert. Thanks again!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Automated processing on text will always look bad. IMHO, remove the text, convert to vector, and in the vector application add the text back. But if the image above is what you start with, the text is already blocky....
(01-18-2017, 09:45 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Automated processing on text will always look bad. IMHO, remove the text, convert to vector, and in the vector application add the text back. But if the image above is what you start with, the text is already blocky....

Thanks, will try this. I know the text is blocky but it seems to be coming out almost fuzzy and not a clear outline like the image
Actually "Memories Travel" and the drawing are blocky. 'Let us help you..." is fine.
This one where you are better off starting from scratch in inkscape. Trying to convert from bitmap to vector in inkscape will give horrible banding over the aircraft fill gradient.

However, since I do not have the fonts & there are only 5 colours in that logo, converting to a vector (not Inkscape) and a bit of editing in Inkscape gets me to here. 

The background is separate in the svg if you need to use something else. remember to unzip it

Attached Files
.zip   temp.svg.zip (Size: 18.05 KB / Downloads: 219)
(01-18-2017, 01:53 PM)rich2005 Wrote: This one where you are better off starting from scratch in inkscape. Trying to convert from bitmap to vector in inkscape will give horrible banding over the aircraft fill gradient.

However, since I do not have the fonts & there are only 5 colours in that logo, converting to a vector (not Inkscape) and a bit of editing in Inkscape gets me to here. 

The background is separate in the svg if you need to use something else. remember to unzip it

Thanks Rich! Really appreciate your help, done me a massive favour!
Remember to download the svg attachment. That will scale to any size required.
(01-18-2017, 04:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Remember to download the svg attachment. That will scale to any size required.

Thanks Rich, done this now. So does this mean now I upload this file to add to websites etc or do I just amend the size in Inkscape each time?

(01-18-2017, 04:17 PM)mwr789 Wrote:
(01-18-2017, 04:07 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Remember to download the svg attachment. That will scale to any size required.

Thanks Rich, done this now. So does this mean now I upload this file to add to websites etc or do I just amend the size in Inkscape each time?

Just realised I get the option to scale when I export. Thanks again for your help Rich! Genuinely you have made my day!
(01-18-2017, 01:53 PM)rich2005 Wrote: This one where you are better off starting from scratch in inkscape. Trying to convert from bitmap to vector in inkscape will give horrible banding over the aircraft fill gradient.

Hi Rich,

I hope your well.

I am trying to make my logo have an outline. Ideally on the outer outline however if each object has to be outlined this isn't an issue. I have tried doing it my self however keep getting extra lines appearing (See top right of photo) Any ideas on how this can be done or do I need to go back to Gimp and try to amend in that application?

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.

Max

Attached Files
.svg   extra outline - Final Logo - Transp Background.svg (Size: 51.32 KB / Downloads: 256)
Try the attached SVG. Still a bit of a cludge resulting from tracing a bitmap to a vector. For example there are bits of 'land' attached to 'text', and holes in the 'sea' where there is 'land'

If the fonts are available the way to set it up as vector objects in Inkscape, top to bottom is
aircraft
text x2 (although I would consider using Gimp to generate the text as a path(s) and import into Inkscape)
land areas (as a group)
blue circular sea.

However, I have put that blue circle at the bottom and to get a complete outline another circle above that, but below the main text and aircraft. The aircraft is now a single path and if the outline is too strong that will easily edit with Inkscape.

Attached Files
.svg   Background.svg (Size: 44.62 KB / Downloads: 240)