Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush Editor Options Greyed Out
Hello! This is my first post here but I'll try to be as clear as possible.

So, I'm running GIMP 2.10.28 and am not able to access the brush editor options. I just updated GIMP yesterday and only just now attempted to edit the brush size. Not sure if this happened from the update or what.

I have tried the following:
- Resetting tool options
- Closing GIMP and restarting my PC
- Closing and reopening the brush editor tab
- Trying out of various brushes.

Maybe there is something really obvious that I'm missing, but I have attached a screen shot of the brush editor.

While the hardness adjustment looks like I might be able to adjust it, I cannot. I also saw another post on a different forum that did not seem to have a resolution, but their screenshot was almost identical in that the amount that Radius, Hardness, and Spacing were greyed out was the same.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions of resolutions...Even if it's that I'm just missing something incredibly obvious.

Well, I guess all I had to do was ask and I figured it out Angry. I believe that I was missing something obvious. I guess the brushes there are presets. What I needed to do was create a new brush, name it, and select it.

If this is at all helpful to anyone, great. But if the admins think it should be deleted, my feelings will not be hurt.

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:only just now attempted to edit the brush size

Are you sure that's the "brush editor" you need and not the "Tool options" instead?
If it has disappeared from your docks/tab in the GIMP menu Windows > Dockable dialogs > Tool Options
Then when you select a brush you will be able to change size, hardness, and so...
as you can see below a quite long list of options

(10-14-2021, 01:08 AM)GoRealSlow Wrote: Maybe there is something really obvious that I'm missing, but I have attached a screen shot of the brush editor.

While the hardness adjustment looks like I might be able to adjust it, I cannot. I also saw another post on a different forum that did not seem to have a resolution, but their screenshot was almost identical in that the amount that Radius, Hardness, and Spacing were greyed out was the same.

More particularly, the default brushes that come box stock with gimp are "read only"....if you wish to edit one of the default brushes, you may do so only by first using the "duplicate this brush" control, located at the bottom of the  brush selection menu.

Once you duplicate the brush, you'll notice that all the grayed-out features of the brush editor become active and available for your use