Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating Multiple Copies of Image
Hi,

I have a large image (roughly 10,000 pixels wide) that is intended to be a template. The idea is that you create your design over the top of it then turn off the template layer and export as JPG or PNG.

On this large layer, I want to create multiple copies of a much smaller image (say 100 x 100 pixels).

Is there any way to do this in GIMP? I have a feeling the Clone tool might be the way to go but don't seem to be able to get any useful result despite trying a few tutorials.

(I've used GIMP for a while but don't regard myself as much more than a newbie so any advice would be welcome.)

Kind wishes - Patrick
Quote:...snip...On this large layer, I want to create multiple copies of a much smaller image (say 100 x 100 pixels)...

Are the copies of this smaller image contiguous, that is do they touch ?

If they do touch then one way is copy to clipboard and fill the larger image with the clipboard pattern.
(08-23-2022, 12:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...snip...On this large layer, I want to create multiple copies of a much smaller image (say 100 x 100 pixels)...

Are the copies of this smaller image contiguous, that is do they touch ?

If they do touch then one way is copy to clipboard and fill the larger image with the clipboard pattern.

Thank you for the reply.

They are not contiguous, but your reply jogged my memory about that function, which may become useful for future designs.

For now, I have solved my immediate problem simply by placing one image on a layer, then duplicating it N times and moving the various layers around. I end up with 20+ layers, which is a bit of a pain, but it works. Only problem is that, when I want to select a particular image, I have to try to remember which layer it is.

Kind wishes - Patrick
I had a look around for anything remotely useful. There might be something, somewhere & someone might come up with suggestions.

However, assuming there is a script/plugin created to copy/move a layer to a specific location, typically a pair of co-ordinates or guides or the end-of-a-path

You still have to set everything up, guides, paths, which means visiting the parts of the big image.

Might as well use the 100x100 image, copied as the clipboard brush and used as a stamp.
(08-25-2022, 06:49 AM)EasyGoingPat Wrote: For now, I have solved my immediate problem simply by placing one image on a layer, then duplicating it N times and moving the various layers around. I end up with 20+ layers, which is a bit of a pain, but it works. Only problem is that, when I want to select a particular image, I have to try to remember which layer it is.

Kind wishes - Patrick

Go to Filters ➤ G'MIC a window opens, on top on the search box input "montage", you will have many options of montage, maybe it's what you're searching
I duplicated n time the layer, then in G'MIC Input layer select all
[Image: h8DXsrr.png]