Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a Clone mask using an image
Last post from me, leave it to you games experts Smile

...but can you clear up my confusion.

I do not have the original .xcf anymore but from my video capture that area (1) does not appear. Is that an addition to the overall tiles template?

The anti-aliasing might / might not have an effect, however there is none in the xcf when you inspect area (2) / (3) Was I working on the wrong area ?

Possibly the thread title is a little ambiguous. Masks ? All those black/white areas look like masks to me, used by the Game engine. Presumably position of tiles is therefore crucial and you can not just plant an extra section in, at least not without other considerations.
It is certainly a sprite sheet/texture atlas.  

And those look like masks to me.  I am thinking that the hard edges are read by the game engine to perhaps set the hard limits, so the actual sprite could have anti-aliasing around the edges, but whether they have anti-aliasing or not, the pixels would never extend beyond the hard edge limits.

The game engine probably has a directory that knows the location of each sprite.  If it is hard-coded, then any modifications would have to match.  If the directory is externalized, for example in an xml file, then someone could modify the sprite sheet locations and maybe add new sprites.

What I find strange is the resolution of 3596x2884.  A major advantage of sprite sheets is to use memory more efficiently in powers of 2: 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 . . .
(08-19-2020, 10:35 PM)mholder Wrote: Hmmm.....I would just lock the transparency, and then clone stamp the slivers from the sources you want

That way you could keep the pixels and replace them with the colors (brightness) you need.  That is if I understand.

I wonder what game this is

That got it! Thank you sir. Sorry for being such a novice. I studied Photoshop back in the day, but don't remember much of it after 15 years! Kinda fun to be relearning and getting into the artwork again though. Thank you all, for being willing to take out time to create learning videos and provide advice!!  Heart Smile

(08-22-2020, 08:21 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Last post from me, leave it to you games experts Smile

...but can you clear up my confusion.

I do not have the original .xcf anymore but from my video capture that area (1) does not appear. Is that an addition to the overall tiles template?

The anti-aliasing might / might not have an effect, however there is none in the xcf when you inspect area (2) / (3) Was I working on the wrong area ?

Possibly the thread title is a little ambiguous. Masks ? All those black/white areas look like masks to me, used by the Game engine. Presumably position of tiles is therefore crucial and you can not just plant an extra section in, at least not without other considerations.
Hi Rich, apologies if the title was confusing. It was just where my thinking was going at the time of the original question (did I need to create a mask?), but the idea to just lock the transparency worked great! Now I can just clone from the full hex depiction into the slivers without changing the shape of the slivers and without having to clone a few pixels at a time!!

I'm afraid my understanding of game programming is close to zero, so I can't really speak to whether the coloured shapes off to the left those are masks or not. As to the size of the file, I will say that the game does (sadly) start to bog down at a certain point if there are too many units or the Line of Sight is set beyond about 12 hexes! Maybe a function of the large Terrain file size? Just guessing. Thanks for your input  Smile
Glad it worked!

Wargames tend to have rather . . . (let's be polite) simplistic graphics.

Not going to name titles, but I have also done some modest commercial work for wargames. What is cool is that the graphics are so simple, that they are easy to improve in most cases.

So if you have an other art questions, this is the place to ask.
(08-22-2020, 05:58 PM)mholder Wrote: Glad it worked!

Wargames tend to have rather . . . (let's be polite) simplistic graphics.

Not going to name titles, but I have also done some modest commercial work for wargames.  What is cool is that the graphics are so simple, that they are easy to improve in most cases.

So if you have an other art questions, this is the place to ask.

Thank you my friend  Big Grin