Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie - working with svg file
[attachment=2656][attachment=2657]

I have a svg file of a magnifying glass.  I want to place the image of the shark inside the magnifying glass.  What's the easiest way to do it?

I've tried to break it into layers, but it looks like that is for flat pictures with a few colors.  The magnifying glass I have is more realistic and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks for your help.

Carl
Only just seen your SVG (had to re-do answer Wink )

An SVG can be opened at any size without loss of quality. That one will have to be large-ish for the shark to fit

1. File -> Open and set the width to 5000 pix

[Image: vypnrO8.jpg]

2. File -> Open as Layers the shark. Move Move  this to the magnifying glass. The 'yellow' dots are the layer boundary.

[Image: 2MF1rDH.jpg]

3. Move the shark layer under the magnifying glass. (drag it down in the layers dialogue or use the arrows) Make the shark layer the size of the image Layer -> Layer to Image size

4. Add a new layer Layer -> New Layer and move under the shark layer.
5. Make a circular selection and fill that selection with color to match shark background (black in this case). Kill the selection Select -> None

[Image: abTOz7m.jpg]

Save your work as Gimp .xcf format which keeps layers, masks, paths etc
Export as a .png which reduces to a single layer and keeps the transparency.
Here is my attempt.

The xcf file is attached. You can use the eye next to each layer to switch them all off. Then switch on the layers one at a time to see what each contains.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.zip   SharkMagnified1.zip (Size: 605.82 KB / Downloads: 151)
You guys are both awesome! I appreciate your work very much!

Thanks
Cool project, Carljong. This may not be relevant for your needs, but I use a lot of Inkscape generated SVG files as base shapes GIMP projects. Since those files are limited to simple path outlines, I open a GIMP file the size I want, then go to the Paths tab, right-click, and Import Path. That path will scale cleanly to any size, and I can use GIMP path tools for small shape tweaks. The advantage I've found to this route over opening the SVG file as above is that the path stays clean. When I open the file it seems to pick up lots of extra nodes, making shape tweaks difficult.