Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a customizable dashed line along curve
Hi, I am new to these forums and apologize if this is not the right place.

My question is, how can I make a dashed line along a curved path or something similar, and still be able to customize the spacing?
To make it clearer: I am making a map, and on this map there are going to be several dashed lines with the same size (80x25 px). However the spacing between the dashed lines is something I want to vary, so that certain places on the maps have large gaps between the dashed lines and others have close spaces between the dashed lines. Additionally I want to make the dashed lines follow smoother curves to make them prettier, as it looks wrong with straight lines.

What I've tried so far:
- Stroke path - stroke line using a line style (This works great, but I have problems varying the gaps between the dashed lines. If i set to line length to squares, I cant have more than 3 squares as spacing. This works fine some places, but I need larger spacings other places)
-Drawing the dashed lines by hand, this takes ages and is easy to mess up, and my attempts have looked awful
-using shift click with the correct angel setting and spacing to create dashed lines. The problem here is it looks too straight and therefore not good.
-Using dynamic brush "Track Direction", this doesnt work. It is simply way too innaccurate

Using windows 10 and Gimp 2.10 if that helps

Thank you for any help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Image(s)

Maybe this one, a plugin replicate_path_along_path.py
 from http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Path_replicate_...aster.html

It might take more than a bit of fiddling around with variables but for example.

A rectangular path - the 'dash' - made from a selection-to-path
A base path and the position of this does matter.
The path to follow.

Which gives this and you need to fill that new path Edit -> Fill Path.

(04-13-2024, 11:06 AM)OJS Wrote: If i set to line length to squares, I cant have more than 3 squares as spacing.
Uh? Works fine for me...

(04-13-2024, 12:14 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Maybe this one, a plugin replicate_path_along_path.py
 from http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Path_replicate_...aster.html

It might take more than a bit of fiddling around with variables but for example.

A rectangular path - the 'dash' - made from a selection-to-path
A base path and the position of this does matter.
The path to follow.

Which gives this and you need to fill that new path Edit -> Fill Path.

Thank you! This is working, although it requires a bit of fiddling for each path that uses different spacing, but it should do the trick!

(04-13-2024, 02:00 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-13-2024, 11:06 AM)OJS Wrote: If i set to line length to squares, I cant have more than 3 squares as spacing.
Uh? Works fine for me...

I might have expressed myself in a confusing way. I mean that if is set the dash length to 3 squares then I am stuck with 3 squares as spacing, or 9 squares. There is no more room for customization, unless you add smaller dashes in between. At least as far as I can make it out.

It would be nice to for example have 3 square dash with 4 square spacing, or 3 square dash with 5 square spacing, etc.
(04-13-2024, 02:20 PM)OJS Wrote: I might have expressed myself in a confusing way. I mean that if is set the dash length to 3 squares then I am stuck with 3 squares as spacing, or 9 squares. There is no more room for customization, unless you add smaller dashes in between. At least as far as I can make it out.

It would be nice to for example have 3 square dash with 4 square spacing, or 3 square dash with 5 square spacing, etc.

As usual I was overthinking, although same as you I find that custom dialogue less than wonderful.

You can edit in your Gimp profile gimprc file as this.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-13-2024, 02:31 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(04-13-2024, 02:20 PM)OJS Wrote: I might have expressed myself in a confusing way. I mean that if is set the dash length to 3 squares then I am stuck with 3 squares as spacing, or 9 squares. There is no more room for customization, unless you add smaller dashes in between. At least as far as I can make it out.

As usual I was overthinking, although same as you I find that custom dialogue less than wonderful.

Can you elaborate please? I tried changing my gimprc file's dash info to the numbers in your picture, but there was no change. I dont rightly know what the different numbers do. Oh and do I have to restart gimp each time i change it?
(04-13-2024, 02:46 PM)OJS Wrote: Can you elaborate please? I tried changing my gimprc file's dash info to the numbers in your picture, but there was no change. I dont rightly know what the different numbers do. Oh and do I have to restart gimp each time i change it?

You will have to experiment. It seems the first 4 is a dashed pattern the next parameter will give a broken path. Final 3 parameters length and spacing.  You will need to restart Gimp after editing for Gimp to re-read the settings.

(04-13-2024, 02:46 PM)OJS Wrote:
(04-13-2024, 02:31 PM)rich2005 Wrote:

Can you elaborate please? I tried changing my gimprc file's dash info to the numbers in your picture, but there was no change. I dont rightly know what the different numbers do. Oh and do I have to restart gimp each time i change it?

Something you could try to is stroke the same path with different patterns
Thank you so much for you help. I have decided to use the gimprc file to adjust the dash patterns and just stroking the same path till i find the ones I like. This seems to be a quick and elegant solution.

Again, thanks a bunch!