Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating layer from a selection
Hey,

New to Gimp. Used photoshop back in the days, but not recently.

I'm currently trying to create a layer from a selection within an image. I'm fairly certain that used to be part of my workflow on photoshop. The way I came up with in Gimp (2.10) is this:

1 - Create the selection, using say the Fuzzy selection wand.
2 - Create a floating layer (?) from the Select... menu on my selection. Now I have  floating layer on the right.

3 - Then make that floating layer a real layer, using right-click on the floating layer and "to new layer".

Now, it appears that the step creating the floating layer actually impacts the initial layer from which I made a selection. It removed the selected area from the initial layer.

That's not what I expect - I'm creating new layers in order to work on those layers, without impacting whatever I have underneath.  Is there a way to achieve this? I see a workaround - Duplicate the base layer from which I made a selection first. Then select & float from the copy. But then that's an extra step that feels unecessary....

Better ideas?
Well ctrl-c copies, not a cut then ctrl-v pastes to a floating selection which as you found, can move and either anchor or promote to a new layer...but...

There are a wealth of options in the Edit menu for pasting.

As an example 30 second animation: https://i.imgur.com/q99nOjK.mp4