Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating text (layer?) presets/profile?
Hey GIMP community, I am fairly new to GIMP but I might already have a rare question. Trying to process my photos from different countries and I'd like to add a text (name of the particular place and country) to the bottom right corner of all pictures. As much as I can I'd like to have this text in exact same spot with pretty much same settings (font, size, location) that I'd always need just to type the name of the place.
I've wondered if there are some sort 'presets' or profiles available in GIMP as they are, let's say, in RawTherapee for example?
Second solution, if I am not mistaken, could be creating a text "layer" with a text box and transparent background which I'd save as a project and could always add later on?
Or is there any other way I am not aware, yet? Thanks a lot for any advice.
There are scripts around that will add text to an image. Tend to be a bit inflexible or add unwanted extras such as borders.
Assuming all your photographs are the same size, try a template as a starter.

Make a new blank image the same size as the photographs.
Add the text and any other items you might want. Just a suggestion but put the text layer in a layer group. Text in bottom right? If you go that way and a fixed position make sure the text has sufficient room for all possibilities. There is an option to lock position and size of any layer. example: https://i.imgur.com/B2SYUD7.jpg

In use? Although a template, safer to open the photograph first (keeps the image name that way) then add the template using File -> Open as Layers
example: https://i.imgur.com/IBzlwt3.mp4
(edit: doing it the hard way Wink once the template is set up, make the base layer transparent or just delete it rather than moving the photograph layer)

Another example, this one with a transparent layer as the background, needed to keep the overall positions of text & other layers.
https://i.imgur.com/iSd2AUt.mp4
Wink 
First of all, thanks a lot, Rich2005, for a quick response and advice - it got me on the track! I fiddled with the settings a little, following your instructions, and it worked.

However, and I do realize, I might be just pain in the *** I forgot to mention that not all of my pictures would be same size. As much as I can I'd like to stick with 4K or Full HD width (!) resolution. Is there any way I could scale up/down that text layer according to particular photo then? I don't need to keep the aspect ratio since only 'width' is important to me (in this matter of adding a text). I'd always try to use one of those width 'standards' so not every picture would have completely unique size, thus they might have different hight though and there shouldn't be any crazy varieties.

I've tried to put the text layer into 'layer group', eventually lock its position, but then I was not able to do any scaling, such as 'Layer to image size' (obviously). Eventually, when I removed them from the group and had them as individual layers I could scale them but they would lose their location from within the original layer (obviously  Cool ).

I do realize that these questions or requirements of mine might be rather specific but it'd save me loads of time through the process, going through hundreds of pictures, + I'd appreciate if the location of that text in each individual photo would look less random/more planned...
And I do appreciate every help and advice to make it happen Blush