Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop question

I have an photo montage that is 4587x2970 and I want to crop it into sections to print the sections out. O.K., I cropped into three sections with fixed 4:6 (thirds straight across with overlapping areas within each third) and printed them as 4x6 prints just fine. But now I want to find a way to crop the image so that it will print out to a larger format--for example double this size that would need 6 4x6 prints to print it all out. Is this possible? Would cutting it into four sections using New Guides work?

It's a friend's photo so I don't want to put it on a public forum so here's one with about the same dimensions from Pixabay.
The image posted is only 640 x 324 pix. And you want to print - what size ?
(11-07-2022, 04:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: The image posted is only 640 x 324 pix. And you want to print -  what size ?

It's just a sample--easily sized up as necessary. As I said I can easily crop it into (probably) 2 fixed 4x6 images, but what I would like is to print it in 4 4x6 photos, so that when assembled together the result is a larger photo.
Ok, you plan to use that size image , 640 x 324 pixels.

You want to print that in 4 horizontal pieces using 6 x 4 paper. Not much calculation required.

First use Image -> Print Size to change the units to inches (1) , the width to 24" (2) , and that gives a pixel-per-inch (ppi) value of 26.667

Now for some calculation, 
6" @ 26.667 = 160.002 so the vertical guides go at positions 160 , 320 , 460
4" @ 26.667 = 106.66 Gimp works in whole pixels so there is some rounding, horizontal = 107 , 213 , 320

Note the proportions of the image are not quite 6:4 There is a 4 pixel strip to discard.

Split those along the guides using Image -> Slice Using the guides to give individual image files. They are small because the original is small. There is a guide to printing resolutions here: http://resources.printhandbook.com/pages...inting.php  Probably, the original image should be about 4 times larger, about 2560 pix wide.
Thanks--that's what I thought!