Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop to Selection Issue
All of a sudden when I use the Crop to Selection tool, I am getting a second border of 'marching ants' which reflects the crop I have selected. However, it is cropping to a slightly larger area beyond that which is shown in the preview image.

As a test, I exported the image to jpeg and posted online and indeed it is showing the larger crop selection that is not what I want!

I am fairly new to GIMP so am not sure if I have accidentally pressed a wrong button and cannot work out how to correct this.

Any help appreciated!

Ray
The real good tool to crop is the Crop tool.

I can reproduce your problem with a feathered selection. I assume that "Crop to selection" is really keeping all the pixels that are selected or partially selected. Keep in mind that the ants are not the limit of the selected pixels, but the "50% selection" line. Pixels inside are more than half-selected, pixels outside are less than half-selected. With a "sharp" selection this is the same as the border between selected and not selected, but with a oft/feathered selection this is no longer true.
Thanks for your reply.

I seem to be back on track now :-) 

ray