Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop tool stuck on fixed shape
Question 
I was trying to crop an image and I am not sure what I did... but somehow my crop tool is only cropping in a (small) fixed rectangular shape.
I cannot seem to find how to stop this and get the tool back to normal?
Anyone that can help me out?

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-02-2023, 01:26 PM)Amleska Wrote: I was trying to crop an image and I am not sure what I did... but somehow my crop tool is only cropping in a (small) fixed rectangular shape.

Best guess. 

Check if you have the crop tool set to a fixed size in the crop tool options (1)
If it is, click on the reset icon bottom of the tool options (2)
You set up Gimp and closed the tool options ? Then go to the windows menu -> Dockable dialogues -> tool options to add a tool options tab. (3)

---
Gimp by default does retain settings when closed down, up to you to remember what you have used. 
You can always reset all tools 
When posting a question like yours, always best to show the whole Gimp interface.
(05-02-2023, 02:40 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 01:26 PM)Amleska Wrote: I was trying to crop an image and I am not sure what I did... but somehow my crop tool is only cropping in a (small) fixed rectangular shape.

Best guess. 

Check if you have the crop tool set to a fixed size in the crop tool options (1)
If it is, click on the reset icon bottom of the tool options (2)
You set up Gimp and closed the tool options ? Then go to the windows menu -> Dockable dialogues -> tool options to add a tool options tab. (3)

---
Gimp by default does retain settings when closed down, up to you to remember what you have used. 
You can always reset all tools 
When posting a question like yours, always best to show the whole Gimp interface.

Thank you! That indeed did the trick.
Good to know about the reset option, I was not aware.

There are so many options in GIMP, I often have trouble finding the right ones.
I am more familiar with Photoshop, but for some things I find GIMP easier or doing a better job (also, it can be installed on my work laptop  Wink ).