Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop won't work
Sad 
New here and trying to use GIMP 2.10 on Windows 11. Crop doesn't seem to work and produces weird set of boxes then freezes or crashes GIMP. Bizarrely, rectangle select seems to work fine --- machine is Dell XPS 9320 running Windows 11 with 3840 x2860 display resolution --- not sure what i could possibly be doing wrong..... Can't see this issue listed elsewhere.

Thanks for advice.
Crop has changed in 2.10 and no longer crops things by default, it mostly resizes the canvas. To get the old behavior, tick the Delete cropped pixels in the options;
(06-28-2023, 07:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Crop has changed in 2.10 and no longer crops things by default, it mostly resizes the canvas. To get the old behavior, tick the Delete cropped pixels in the options;

Thanks for your help but sorry to be a pain I cannot find where 'the options' are or where 'delete cropped pixels' might be.... could you guide me in the menu where it is? Frustrated!
(06-28-2023, 06:40 PM)FredGib Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 07:13 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Crop has changed in 2.10 and no longer crops things by default, it mostly resizes the canvas. To get the old behavior, tick the Delete cropped pixels in the options;

Thanks for your help but sorry to be a pain I cannot find where 'the options' are or where 'delete cropped pixels' might be.... could you guide me in the menu where it is? Frustrated!

https://i.stack.imgur.com/iSUEk.png

[Image: iSUEk.png]
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
OK This problem sorted ---- i managed to find the tool options tab Krikor kindly posted. For reasons I don't understand it doesn't default to being available or visible when you go through the menu->tools->transform tools->crop and only appear only comes up by clicking on v small icon on the extreme top right of the window which is labelled 'configure this tab' but actually allowed me to select, amongst many other tabs the 'add tab' dialog and then to select the tool options to make it visible and from there unclick the 'delete cropped pixels' as well and other choices to make the crop tool more 'normal' -- I can see there's lots of interesting functionality here but as a beginner I really need to start with basic cropping!
The Tool options dialog is a very important dialog and is visible in the default UI:

However in recent Gimp version it tends to fly off by itself, and people close that pesky window... and lose it.

To restore it and lock it in place, see this tutorial: Getting the Tool options back, once for all

Also, to manage your UI, see this other one: Managing tool options and window positions
(06-29-2023, 06:45 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The Tool options dialog is a very important dialog and is visible in the default UI:

However in recent Gimp version it tends to fly off by itself, and people close that pesky window... and lose it.

To restore it and lock it in place, see this tutorial: Getting the Tool options back, once for all

Also, to manage your UI, see this other one: Managing tool options and window positions