Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Customizing a few things in Gimp
I was wondering about how to change a few things in Gimp.

How can I disable or make the preview thumbs smaller in the dialog windows, such as Undo History?
How can I replace elements such as Opacity in the Layers dialog window with an input field instead of a that huge vertical bar?
How can I disable the thumbs or image preview in the tab of the workspace and have the name of the file instead?
How can I remove the text found at the bottom of the Tool bar saying "You can drop dockable dialogs here".

I appreciate any help I can get!
1) Don't know
2) The number area in these sliders in an entry field, so you can enter a value directly if needed.
3) Don't know
4) You get this text if the window is big enough to contain it. If you resize the window to fit the Toolbox more closely if will disappear.
(05-30-2017, 01:52 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: 1) Don't know
2) The number area in these sliders in an entry field, so you can enter a value directly if needed.
3) Don't know
4) You get this text if the window is big enough to contain it. If you resize the window to fit the Toolbox more closely if will disappear.

2) I find the sliders too big. I wish I could replace them with a simple input field or have them a bit thinner. They take up a lot of space.

4) If I make it smaller (one column wide), the text disappears, but the icons are too small. This can't be the only solution?

If I have the toolbox a bit wider (two columns wide), I get the mentioned text, which I don't want. It is visually not appealing. It is not even centered correctly (see second attache image).

There must be a better solution to this.

possible solution

[Image: XpPnuBa.jpg]
(05-30-2017, 07:16 PM)print rich2005 Wrote: possible solution

I did not ask for a possible solution, but for a better solution.

A possible solution would also be not use Gimp.
Another possible solution would be to use Photoshop on a VM.
A solution would also be to print out an image, edit the image with scissors, a pen and some glue, and scan it with a scanner.

Especially the last solution makes more sense than your post.
Got to keep a sense of humour around here. Ofnuts pointed out you resize to hide the writing. This question has come up before and AFAIK the Gimp Developers (and there are none here) have no intention of removing it.

That leaves you with Photoshop.
I really thought that Gimp is more flexible when it comes to customization. I'm surprised that the developers don't see an issue with the text or at least offer an option to remove it.

I don't understand the purpose of having that text in the Tool Box. Dockable Dialogs can be placed anywhere. Why not having that text then in any possible window of Gimp. Even better, why not having those hints all over Gimp. Anyway, I don't like workarounds, where I'm stuck with an option I don't like just to get rid of something else that bothers me. But I appreciate the help I got so far.