Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting pieces, can't eliminate border
I am trying to make an image of a puzzle with different colored pieces.  In the example attached, I've cut out 2 white and 2 black pieces and put into layers.  Showing those 4 layers, we see the puzzle pattern/outline.  I don't want that.  I have the puzzle template as an svg and can't get the paths so narrow that they won't show in the final output, but not so narrow (or nonexistent) that the fuzzy select will still work.  
I am a newbie so verbose help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Attached Files
.xcf   BlkWhitePuzzleExample.xcf (Size: 363.01 KB / Downloads: 230)
Do you have more requirements? For example do the individual pieces have to be on separate layers? Is the intention to move them around?

While a path can be sub-pixel (it has no width) When rendered it will conform to pixel boundaries so you do tend to get gaps. 

For a not-so-quick way.

The paths combined and stroked to give a faint 1 pixel outline on a base layer.
A fill layer over that. Each tile selected (sample merged), grow selection 1 pix (make a key shortcut to bypass the menu)
Fill the selection.

I did start to redraw the tiles as individual interlocking paths, but life-is-too-short Wink  I am sure there will be better solutions by others.
My first thought is to do the whole thing as vector graphics, and then to export the final result as a png.

The ideal would be to have a path for each individual puzzle piece. That would have a fill and no stroke. But I don't know Inkscape well enough to do that. Try asking at http://www.inkscapeforum.com
Hi,

I've had a go which may be of use if you are OK with all jigsaw pieces on one or two layers. If you want one piece per layer then this is no good.

My result is attached below.

I tweaked the jigsaw paths so they can be selected by changing them from lines to rectangles by joining pairs of lines at the ends. Then merged all the jigsaw paths.

Have added two paths to set up the colour changes. They make grids of diamonds that can be bucket filled.

The xcf file is attached. To change the colour of a jigsaw piece in my .xcf file:

To change the colour of one of the pink or blue pieces.
Make layer 2 active (not the layer mask)
Set foreground colour
Select bucket fill tool.
Click on the jigsaw piece.

To change the colour of one of the yellow or grey pieces.
Make layer 1 active
Click to bucket fill.

Best wishes, teapot.

PS The xcf file is already set up, is long winded but this is how I did it:

In my .xcf file:
Set foreground colour white, background colour black

Make layer 2's layer mask active
Edit -> fill with background colour
Path jigsaw to selection
Edit -> fill with foreground colour
Select -> none
This leaves the layer mask with a black and white chequerboard of jigsaw
pieces starting with black in the top left corner.

Set foreground and background colours to different colours e.g. pink and blue
Make layer 2 active (not the layer mask)
Path diagonals 2 to selection
Select -> none

Make layer 1 active
Set foreground and background colours to different colours e.g. yellow and grey
Path diagonals 1 to selection
Select -> none

.xcf   jigsaw02.xcf (Size: 1.1 MB / Downloads: 144)
Tried to write gimp Tongue

I had a quick search on google and found this template on wikimedia commons.

Each puzzle piece is a path on its own. Very easy to work with in Inkscape. Just set the fill to the colour of your choice and no stroke. Done.

Attached Files
.svg   Jigsaw_Puzzle.svg (Size: 65.97 KB / Downloads: 129)
(06-21-2019, 08:16 PM)rich2005 Wrote: ***Thanks for you speedy response rich2005.  I am now putting all of the pieces on one layer.  Your 1 pixel solution is tedious but it makes sense and works great.

Do you have more requirements? For example do the individual pieces have to be on separate layers? Is the intention to move them around?

While a path can be sub-pixel (it has no width) When rendered it will conform to pixel boundaries so you do tend to get gaps. 

For a not-so-quick way.

The paths combined and stroked to give a faint 1 pixel outline on a base layer.
A fill layer over that. Each tile selected (sample merged), grow selection 1 pix (make a key shortcut to bypass the menu)
Fill the selection.

I did start to redraw the tiles as individual interlocking paths, but life-is-too-short Wink  I am sure there will be better solutions by others.