Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyan in Gimp 2.10.8 failed to save image
Hello,

following the instructions given by GIMP-administrator "rich" in a video on this platform, I have downloaded, installed and applied Cyan in Gimp 2.10.8 (under Windows 10 Pro) to convert a GIMP-image (Adobe RGB 1998) into a TIFF-file (CMYK: ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)). Everything worked well except of the last step: Cyan failed to save the image ("failed to save image, please file permissions or similar."). Alternatively, I tried to convert and save a tif-image (RGB) of the same GIMP-project, what again failed. Does someone know how this problem can be solved?

With kind regards.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-02-2019, 10:49 AM)bade Wrote: following the instructions given by GIMP-administrator "rich" in a video on this platform, I have downloaded, installed and applied Cyan in Gimp 2.10.8 (under Windows 10 Pro) to convert a GIMP-image (Adobe RGB 1998) into a TIFF-file (CMYK: ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI)). Everything worked well except of the last step: Cyan failed to save the image ("failed to save image, please file permissions or similar.").

It could be a security issue with Windows not liking the destination you specified. Although the next bit tends to indicate a problem involving the tiff format.

Quote:Alternatively, I tried to convert and save a tif-image (RGB) of the same GIMP-project, what again failed. Does someone know how this problem can be solved?

Have you tried exporting to some other format say psd just as a try-to-get-working measure?

If you can not get CYAN to work for you then the alternative is Krita http://www.krita.org although it does not yet support Gimp 2.10 version .xcf files. You would need to set all layers etc to legacy mode.

I have been using both CYAN and Krita in the last couple of days without any bother but I do use linux.

If possible post your gimp .xcf somewhere like DropBox and I will give it a try, might be the file. In any case I will give CYAN a run in a Win10 / Gimp 2.10.8 VM to see what happens.
A good try in a Win10 / Gimp 2.10.8 and I can not get a fail.

You did get the latest from https://sourceforge.net/projects/prepress/files/1.2.1/ I assume you did or it would not work without editing the python plugin.

Tried 8 bit and 16 bit, single layer and multi layer xcf's - all export to a 'external' drive.

This the last one: https://i.imgur.com/LfPyjUA.jpg checked with ImageMagick definitely CMYK.

Bit of a mystery, back to some sort of Windows security thing.

edit: just a thought. What is your language setup? Does the filename contain any accented characters?
Yes, I have tried exporting to jpg and psd as well. The failure report was the same.

I´ll try it again with Krita as you advised me.

Thank you!

Your hint "export to a 'external' drive" brought me to the idea to save into another folder than that which contains the original file. With this new procedere I could save the converted file successfully, leaving me a bit astonished as I can´t explain it to me, but finally it works. - Thank you for your help!

Your hint that you exported to an 'external' drive brought me to the idea to save into another folder than that which contains the original gimp image. With this new procedere I could save the converted file successfully, leaving me a bit astonished as I can´t explain it to me, but finally it works. - Thank you for your help!
In order to share my experience: The folder has to be named "Gimp". Other folder names on the same drive don´t allow me to save the image file from Cyan. This is strange to me - but this is the clear result of my trial and error testing.