Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOCKS AND DIALOGS, stacking?
In docking dialog windows, is there a way to stack dialog windows on top of each other rather than have them turn into columns running the whole length of gimp?  With the "undo" window  or the layers window, having a long column is good, but with other windows I just need a box shaped window, not a long column, and would like to stack the boxes on top of one another. Would also like to be able to lengthen or shorten a dialog window even if it is docked. How does one do that? Can't seem to find documentation on this. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance..
(02-27-2023, 02:51 PM)sedmont Wrote: In docking dialog windows, is there a way to stack dialog windows on top of each other rather than have them turn into columns running the whole length of gimp?  With the "undo" window  or the layers window, having a long column is good, but with other windows I just need a box shaped window, not a long column, and would like to stack the boxes on top of one another. Would also like to be able to lengthen or shorten a dialog window even if it is docked. How does one do that? Can't seem to find documentation on this. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance..

See those 3 dots?

Click and drag them up and down when they are horizontal, and sideways when they are vertical.
You can drag and drop a tab to a side, at the top/bottom while dragging them the whole thing will highlight blue, and a slight darker blue appear when you can release your click to be sticked on the side/top/bottom

Now to pile them up on top of each other, yes and no... no in the sense of having just the tab, yes in a sense of having a small window with the tab like at the bottom of my screenshot, and yes you can put more tab with little window between my layer stack and the window below Wink

Tip: Those 3 dots (on the screenshot) can be use as a "line of sight" to drop a tab with your mouse and create one more story/level of window
Quote:In docking dialog windows, is there a way to stack dialog windows on top of each other rather than have them turn into columns running the whole length of gimp?

Is it something like this you require ? https://i.imgur.com/QUuGSfW.mp4 This a Win10 VM and somewhat cramped for space, but you should get the idea.

You can click and drag a tab to the bottom of the docks. That gets you a blue outline and a shift in colour when you hit the hot spot. You can repeat for as much space as you have on the display.

I know from past experience Windows users can have problems with this. All you can do is try.

If (when) you screw up there is always Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management & Reset Windows to Default
PixLab and rich2005, thanks very much! Especially that video, rich2005! What I was doing wrong was grabbing free-floating dialogs from the labeled white rectangle at the top of the dialog. When you do that, you can move the dialog around, but it won't connect with anything. I saw from your video that one must instead grab from directly below that white rectangle. Then the blue edges light up and you can stack and whatnot. Thanks.