Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
DUAL INSTALLING 2.8 & 2.10 ?
#1
Hello, 

I need some help/knowledge/info/instruction... call it what you will. 

But before I present my inquiry I feel I need to give you a little history on my experience so you'll be better able to help.

 I had 24 years in I.T. (retired). I've been into graphics on a frequent basis since 1995. I started with CorelDraw 3. When I got my own machine I started signing up as a Beta Tester for various companies. 
I got a Beta copy of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 4 (PSP Pro 4). Eventually I got Jasc PSP Pro 7 (2000), and that is what I've been using until last year when I got Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 (formerly Jasc), which I haven't really used much, and that's because there isn't many YouTube tutorials on it. I was told about Gimp. I've been learning Gimp for the last couple of weeks. 

Now for the issue that I'm posting about. As I stated... I had been an I.T. Professional since 1995. I've always been able to install 2 versions of the same Application on my machines to more easily migrate to the newer version. Why is it that I can't install Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.10 on the same machine? 

And please, do not reply if you are not using Gimp on Windows 10. 

Thank You for you time in reading my dilemma and replying with your experience and knowledge. 

Best Regards, StageMan
Best Regards, 
StageMan

Quote: Believe you can", or! if "Believe you can't". Ether way!... you are correct! 
The operative word is "Believe". 
Obvious the caveat to that is being reasonable and logical. 
If you're 50 & believe you can be an astronaut. You may want to get a check up from the neck up! Big Grin
Reply
#2
(05-22-2021, 04:03 PM)StageMan Wrote: Hello, 

I need some help/knowledge/info/instruction... call it what you will. 

But before I present my inquiry I feel I need to give you a little history on my experience so you'll be better able to help.

 I had 24 years in I.T. (retired). I've been into graphics on a frequent basis since 1995. I started with CorelDraw 3. When I got my own machine I started signing up as a Beta Tester for various companies. 
I got a Beta copy of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 4 (PSP Pro 4). Eventually I got Jasc PSP Pro 7 (2000), and that is what I've been using until last year when I got Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 (formerly Jasc), which I haven't really used much, and that's because there isn't many YouTube tutorials on it. I was told about Gimp. I've been learning Gimp for the last couple of weeks. 

Now for the issue that I'm posting about. As I stated... I had been an I.T. Professional since 1995. I've always been able to install 2 versions of the same Application on my machines to more easily migrate to the newer version. Why is it that I can't install Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.10 on the same machine? 

And please, do not reply if you are not using Gimp on Windows 10. 

Thank You for you time in reading my dilemma and replying with your experience and knowledge. 

Best Regards, StageMan
If you have V2.8.x installed normally you could install the portable version 2.10.22 from Partha's site (he hasn't released V2.10.24 yet). I have done this in the past on Windows. See the notes part way down the right-hand side of the page at the following link. The download link for the Windows portable version is further down the page:

https://www.partha.com/
Reply
#3
@StageMan
Using a portable version such as Partha's is not a bad way to go, if you accept that the regular Gimp has 32 bit support and Partha is strictly 64 bit. 32 bit compiled plugins (there are still some around) do not work.

Since you are an IT pro you will be comfortable with tweaking the Windows registry.
Some details here:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-IS-the...51#pid9851
Reply
#4
(05-22-2021, 04:11 PM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 04:03 PM)StageMan Wrote: Hello, 

I need some help/knowledge/info/instruction... call it what you will. 

But before I present my inquiry I feel I need to give you a little history on my experience so you'll be better able to help.

 I had 24 years in I.T. (retired). I've been into graphics on a frequent basis since 1995. I started with CorelDraw 3. When I got my own machine I started signing up as a Beta Tester for various companies. 
I got a Beta copy of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 4 (PSP Pro 4). Eventually I got Jasc PSP Pro 7 (2000), and that is what I've been using until last year when I got Corel Paint Shop Pro X6 (formerly Jasc), which I haven't really used much, and that's because there isn't many YouTube tutorials on it. I was told about Gimp. I've been learning Gimp for the last couple of weeks. 

Now for the issue that I'm posting about. As I stated... I had been an I.T. Professional since 1995. I've always been able to install 2 versions of the same Application on my machines to more easily migrate to the newer version. Why is it that I can't install Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.10 on the same machine? 

And please, do not reply if you are not using Gimp on Windows 10. 

Thank You for you time in reading my dilemma and replying with your experience and knowledge. 

Best Regards, StageMan
If you have V2.8.x installed normally you could install the portable version 2.10.22 from Partha's site (he hasn't released V2.10.24 yet). I have done this in the past on Windows. See the notes part way down the right-hand side of the page at the following link. The download link for the Windows portable version is further down the page:

https://www.partha.com

Thank You for the quick reply Programmer_ceds.
 
First, I'm going to take your advise! But, check this out. 
  I uninstalled Gimp 2.8. I use IObit Uninstaller (paid) which is suppose to find and delete all residual files as well. 
But!... after I uninstalled 2.8 and I installed Gimp 2.10.22 and loaded it. It didn't display the way it did on the YouTube videos that I watched. 
But, what 2.10.22 did do... was, display itself the way I configured 2.8 to display when it loaded. 
  That told me that when I uninstalled 2.8, that a configuration file or files were left behind and 2.10.22 obviously recognized and used the files that were left behind. When technically!...  2.10.22 should have overwritten everything during it's Install.  Another Application would have overwritten everything it would normally use that was left behind. Even though IObit Uninstaller bagged a lot of residual directory files and even Registry entries, which by the way... I went through the Registry looking for Gimp. Not a single entry was found. IObit UnInstaller did its job in the Registry.
  Anyway, after several Installs and Uninstalls I found the culprits. Again, I'm going to take your advise on the Portable. 
But I'm going to do an experiment first. I'm going to extract from both the 2.8 and 2.10.22 Installers, and put those files in separate directories under Program Files and run them and see what happens! 

Thanks again Bro for the advise, and reading my post. 
Best Regards, StageMan

(05-22-2021, 04:45 PM)rich2005 Wrote: @StageMan
Using a portable version such as Partha's is not a bad way to go, if you accept that the regular Gimp has 32 bit support and Partha is strictly 64 bit. 32 bit compiled plugins (there are still some around) do not work.

Since you are an IT pro you will be comfortable with tweaking the Windows registry.
Some details here:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-IS-the...51#pid9851

Thanks for your reply and info Rich2005, 

Check out my reply to @Programmer_ceds.

By the way, one thing I forgot to include to Programmer_ceds is... It appears Gimp has been around forever... so to speak.
It's puzzling that Dual Installing would even be an issue.
So that I'm not burning time, and at 63... every minute is one less minute I have on the Planet. Can you direct me to the Gimp Coding Community where I can submit a suggestion/feedback or two?  URL link? 

Thanks for your reply
Best Regards, StageMan

Hay Guys  ( @Programmer_ceds & @Rich2005 ), 

What's you opinion on the PortableApps Platform for running a portable Gimp versus Partha's McGimp 2.10.22 Release?

Best Regards, StageMan
Best Regards, 
StageMan

Quote: Believe you can", or! if "Believe you can't". Ether way!... you are correct! 
The operative word is "Believe". 
Obvious the caveat to that is being reasonable and logical. 
If you're 50 & believe you can be an astronaut. You may want to get a check up from the neck up! Big Grin
Reply
#5
Quote:...snip... That told me that when I uninstalled 2.8, that a configuration file or files were left behind and 2.10.22 obviously recognized and used the files that were left behind. When technically!... 2.10.22 should have overwritten everything during it's Install.

Not quite, When first run Gimp creates a user profile for user settings and resources. This is persistent and keeps settings between Gimp updates. The Gimp 2.8.x profile is C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 and for Gimp 2.10.x it is the hidden folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10

When Gimp 2.10 supersedes Gimp 2.8 the 2.8 resources are migrated to the Gimp 2.10 user profile. Not always with great results. If you need a 'clean' Gimp 2.10 installation disable the Gimp 2.8 user profile (rename it), delete the Gimp 2.10 user profile, restart Gimp 2.10 and let it make a new profile.

Quote:But I'm going to do an experiment first. I'm going to extract from both the 2.8 and 2.10.22 Installers, and put those files in separate directories under Program Files and run them and see what happens!

From memory Gimp 2.8 was reasonably portable, Gimp 2.10 is not as compliant. Extracting from the installer is not as straight forward as running inno-extractor Wink The installer contains versions for both 32 and 64 bit Windows OS.

Quote:What's you opinion on the PortableApps Platform for running a portable Gimp...
The more recent portableapps Gimp 2.10 tends to be somewhat flakey. You could try a Gimp 2.8 portable though.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl...0Portable/

Partha is not the only Gimp 2.10.x portable for Windows there is one here.
https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/2021/...21024.html
Reply
#6
(05-22-2021, 06:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...snip...  That told me that when I uninstalled 2.8, that a configuration file or files were left behind and 2.10.22 obviously recognized and used the files that were left behind. When technically!...  2.10.22 should have overwritten everything during it's Install.

Not quite, When first run Gimp creates a user profile for user settings and resources. This is persistent and keeps settings between Gimp updates. The Gimp 2.8.x profile is C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 and for Gimp 2.10.x it is the hidden folder C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10

When Gimp 2.10 supersedes Gimp 2.8 the 2.8 resources are migrated to the Gimp 2.10 user profile. Not always with great results.  If you need a 'clean' Gimp 2.10 installation disable the Gimp 2.8 user profile (rename it), delete the Gimp 2.10 user profile, restart Gimp 2.10 and let it make a new profile.

Quote:But I'm going to do an experiment first. I'm going to extract from both the 2.8 and 2.10.22 Installers, and put those files in separate directories under Program Files and run them and see what happens!

From memory Gimp 2.8 was reasonably portable, Gimp 2.10 is not as compliant. Extracting from the installer is not as straight forward as running inno-extractor Wink The installer contains versions for both 32 and 64 bit Windows OS.

Quote:What's you opinion on the PortableApps Platform for running a portable Gimp...
The more recent portableapps Gimp 2.10 tends to be somewhat flakey. You could try a Gimp 2.8 portable though.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl...0Portable/

Partha is not the only Gimp 2.10.x portable for Windows there is one here.
https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/2021/...21024.html

Thank you much Rich!
Best Regards, 
StageMan

Quote: Believe you can", or! if "Believe you can't". Ether way!... you are correct! 
The operative word is "Believe". 
Obvious the caveat to that is being reasonable and logical. 
If you're 50 & believe you can be an astronaut. You may want to get a check up from the neck up! Big Grin
Reply


Forum Jump: