Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default quality keeps changing on Export Image as JPEG window
Need to go back to the first post. ( I plead guilty to forgetting that )
What is missing is the OP is using Gimp 2.8 and from memory Gimp 2.8 had issues reading that parasiterc file.

One solution might be a 'export with set jpg values' script or plugin. I have a 'quick-n-dirty' plugin I use for reduced quality screenshots that go to imgur, not very flexible, dumps the top layer to a jpeg using the layer name.

Ofnuts has a quick export plugin, maybe that can be adapted.

edit
@ programmer_ceds
Anything you can suggest ?
(03-30-2022, 08:10 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Need to go back to the first post. ( I plead guilty to forgetting that )
What is missing is the OP is using Gimp 2.8 and from memory Gimp 2.8 had issues reading that parasiterc file.

One solution might be a 'export with set jpg values' script or plugin. I have a 'quick-n-dirty' plugin I use for reduced quality screenshots that go to imgur, not very flexible, dumps the top layer to a jpeg using the layer name.

Ofnuts has a quick export plugin, maybe that can be adapted.

edit
@ programmer_ceds
Anything you can suggest ?
@rich2005 in post #3 the OP says that they have installed 2.10.30 - so unless they have installed it but are still using 2.8.x ...

I'm puzzled as to why it isn't working for the OP - setting the defaults has always worked for me, even, I think, on v2.8. I'm still of the opinion that the OP is doing something slightly different. It's not as if many other people are complaining about it or they are using an obscure OS.
(03-30-2022, 07:55 AM)programmer_ceds Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 06:37 AM)imagemicx Wrote: Thanks. I did that but it still does not open the dialog with 80% quality saved every time. It opens with 90%, 96%, different values, and I am having to either manually type 80 or click Load Defaults every time.

Am I the only one who is having this issue?

I have just tried and using the "Save Defaults" button causes the quality to be set for future exports (even after GIMP has been terminated and restarted). Can you provide a key-by-key / button-by-button record of opening a jpg file and then using Export or Export As with a screenshot of the Export dialog?

I agree, it all depends on the OP's workflow. @Imagemicx can you provide that information.

I know in the past users who want to open a file, then a simple edit such as a watermark, close and move on to the next file.

This a simple mod of Akkana Peck's save-export-clean.py (remember the Gimp 2.8 SAVE/EXPORT split controversy) to output a 80 quality jpg.

My programming remains a bit of FORTRAN , 50 years ago, so I am stuck on the 'parsing-the-name-without-the-extension'. This outputs filename.ext.jpg , however  as a 'concept'  example: https://i.imgur.com/69juJ38.mp4

Attached Files
.zip   save-export-clean.zip (Size: 1.24 KB / Downloads: 53)
(03-30-2022, 06:37 AM)imagemicx Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 11:20 AM)rich2005 Wrote: By default the "Export File Type" is set as PNG Image in Edit > Preferences > Image Import & Export  Change that to JPEG Image (drop down menu) and Ok that.

When you come to export an image the format is now .jpg and the settings from the Saved Defaults.

Just for info, the settings are held in the file   parasiterc  in your Gimp Profile. Not much to see, it is a long string of numbers. Check that it is there, delete it anytime to restore the defaults.

Thanks. I did that but it still does not open the dialog with 80% quality saved every time. It opens with 90%, 96%, different values, and I am having to either manually type 80 or click Load Defaults every time.

Am I the only one who is having this issue?

No......your description is exactly what happens to me...GIMP 2.10.32
Did you find a solution?
I read the whole thread but didn't spot a clear answer!!
(12-27-2022, 05:07 PM)malcolm Wrote: No......your description is exactly what happens to me...GIMP 2.10.32
Did you find a solution?

Is this checked?

If yes, unchek it.
(12-28-2022, 12:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 05:07 PM)malcolm Wrote: No......your description is exactly what happens to me...GIMP 2.10.32
Did you find a solution?

Is this checked?

If yes, unchek it.

I read about this earlier in this thread......yes, it is unchecked when the modified Defaults - Quality 80) are saved. However, with the next use of the program the original 95 is displayed and the box is checked again.......see the attached screenshots.

Attached Files Image(s)

If that is not working try going into your Gimp user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

Look for the file parasiterc which holds the saved default values and delete it. Maybe something stuck in there.

Next time you export to a jpg set the quality and Save the Defaults Gimp will write a new parasiterc on exit. That works for me same as previous posts.

You can look at the file in a text editor, I do not understand the entries but by comparison, the first two entries in the long string govern quality.

example
Code:
saved quality 85
(parasite "jpeg-save-defaults" 1 46
"\70\65\56\................\60")

saved quality 90
"\71\60\56.................\60")

saved quality 95
"\71\65\56\................\60")

Might / might not make a difference.
(12-28-2022, 11:40 AM)rich2005 Wrote: If that is not working try going into your Gimp user profile  C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

Look for the file parasiterc which holds the saved default values and delete it. Maybe something stuck in there.

Next time you export to a jpg set the quality and Save the Defaults Gimp will write a new parasiterc on exit. That works for me same as previous posts.

You can look at the file in a text editor, I do not understand the entries but by comparison, the first two entries in the long string govern quality.

example
Code:
saved quality 85
"\70\65\56\................\60")

saved quality 90
"\71\60\56.................\60")

saved quality 95
"\71\65\56\................\60")

Might / might not make a difference.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I've just done that as described but when I quit GIMP and restarted, the default settings weren't automatically loaded/used........I had to click "Load Defaults".
(12-28-2022, 11:57 AM)malcolm Wrote: Thanks for the speedy reply. I've just done that as described but when I quit GIMP and restarted, the default settings weren't automatically loaded/used........I had to click "Load Defaults".

Yeah..A few more tests and if you open a jpg then the previous quality is used even when 'Use quality settings from ...' is unticked and as you say, you need to 'Load Defaults'.

Not the case if you start from some other format or a new image.

I do not know an answer to this. For lower quality images I post, to say imgur, I use a script which sets quality and exports a jpeg.