Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default to CM for images?
I figured out how to change the default unit of measurment from px to cm for a new image, but how do I do the same for an image I've copied from the net and pasted into gimp as new image (Ctrl, Shft + V)? When I go to resize for this, it's still in px?
This bears directly on your other post. Copy and paste directly probably not the same resolution as your image, However.

Gimp is a bitmap editor, it works in pixels not inches or centimetres. If you copy and paste into Gimp then look at Image -> Image Properties where it gives the size in pixels (1) and the resolution in pixels-per-inch (ppi) (2).  Of course you can change the scale in the rulers (3) but that in no way changes the image size in pixels.

Pixels divided by resolution gives a print size. The example 330 / 96 = 3.43  400 / 96 = 4.16 A print size 3.43" x 4.16" if inches are your preference.  Ofnuts has a page about it here:  https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp

That is fine for a copy - paste  on its own. Be aware if you paste into another image with a different ppi and many Gimp templates are 300 ppi then the pasted image will appear much smaller, this example 1.1" x 1.33" although the size in pixels is still the same.