Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delete Tool Problems
Hi all,
I've very recently started using GIMP for some pic editing and I've been trying to delete selections of pictures, but when I try to delete the selected part, it just turns grey. 
I've gone through and added an alpha channel, used the lasso tool to select the part I want to delete and managed to get the marching ants around it, but when I try to clear or cut it, grey.
Any help would be really appreciated! 

Thanks
Is it specific to a single image? Or does it happen with all images? Can you post a screenshot?
A screenshot, something like the one below, is best, showing the problem but also the tools, FG/BG colour and layers.

Just for reference:

Without an alpha-channel (transparency), cutting a selection will use the background (BG) colour, which could be grey.

With an alpha-channel, The representation of transparency depends on Gimp settings.
In Edit -> Preferences -> Display there are various options, with checker pattern, solid.

Then of course with a layer under, you see whatever is there, which could be a plain grey layer.

(10-14-2017, 09:40 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Is it specific to a single image? Or does it happen with all images? Can you post a screenshot?

I've tried it on a few different images but I get the same result. Here's the image after I've selected and tried to cut/clear. Sorry it's a wing...I do research on honeybees.

Thanks again

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-15-2017, 06:10 PM)cat Wrote: Here's the image after I've selected and tried to cut/clear.

Hi cat
The delete/clear does work perfectly.
The image you provided shows the end result. We need to see how you achieved that end result. Can you provide a screenshot as suggested by Rich2005? Plus any additional info that may be relevant. Then we can probably work out where things are going wrong.
With the best will in the world, the closest I can get to that, is an inverted selection then selection-to-channel and the channel visible...and I do not think it will be that Wink

[Image: nXoMCeN.jpg]

Your forum profile says you are using Windows XP. Is that correct?
Are you using a Mac or Windows with maybe a 4K display?

It looks like some sort of reduced transparency issue but how to reproduce I do not know.
(10-15-2017, 07:19 PM)rich2005 Wrote: With the best will in the world, the closest I can get to that, is an inverted selection then selection-to-channel and the channel visible...and I do not think it will be that Wink

[Image: nXoMCeN.jpg]

Your forum profile says you are using Windows XP. Is that correct?
Are you using a Mac or Windows with maybe a 4K display?

It looks like some sort of reduced transparency issue but how to reproduce I do not know.
So, after looking at the screen shots you added I noticed that my images were originally saved with a duplicate layer of the wings underneath the first layer so I guess I was deleting the top layer but not the next one...feeling totally ridiculous right now... but thank you for all the help! I was originally concerned that I was deleting wrong or something.
Thanks again! 
Cat