Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deselect for fuzzy tool not working
I'm trying to select this frog with the fuzzy tool at 100 to put an outline on it, but I don't want an outline on the enclosed arm area on the left frog. I tried pressing control and clicking on the area which usually works but it doesn't here. I even played around with the threshold but it didn't make any difference, at a normal 15 it still has this problem. Not sure what I'm doing wrong since deselecting area usually works.
https://imgur.com/a/jxdnzNl

Attached Files
.xcf   frogumbrella.xcf (Size: 147.2 KB / Downloads: 238)
Works for me.... I don't get any selection in the enclosed arm. Would you be using the color selector instead of the fuzzy select by any chance?

But maybe you shouldn't be doing this... If you want to add an umbrella, you add it on another layer, and put it between two copies of the frog layer (the top layer needs only to be partial. No need for complicated selections in that case. I fyou post the XCF with the from an umbrella on different layers, I can show you how it is done.
(12-07-2019, 10:50 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Works for me.... I don't get any selection in the enclosed arm. Would you be using the color selector instead of the fuzzy select by any chance?

But maybe you shouldn't be doing this... If you want to add an umbrella, you add it on another layer, and put it between two copies of the frog layer (the top layer needs only to be partial. No need for complicated selections in that case. I fyou post the XCF with the from an umbrella on different layers, I can show you how it is done.

Noo to be clearer, what I want is an outline around the entire image. So the outline around the periphery of the frog and its umbrella but without the inside of its parts outlined. I'm going to print it so this is just to make it easier for me to cut exactly. But I'm not going to be cutting into those little enclosed white parts so I don't want the outline there.
Use the Fuzzy Select tool to select the transparent background. Default 15 works fine.
If required, you can use Select > Invert
@marigolden

Quote:but I don't want an outline on the enclosed arm area on the left frog

As you have discovered by now there are usually several different ways to get an end result. Eventually you will get your own set of favourite procedures, might not be the best way or easiest way but will suit you.

For your two little drawings and an outline. Remember you are allowed to use the eraser tool Wink

Other than using a quickmask (my favourite) I might do something like this; duration 54 seconds.  https://youtu.be/Xe1Yfbo-qxM

How about using layerfx for making an outline ?

'Outer Glow' is based on Gaussian Blur. When you crank up the 'Spread', you have full control over how antialiased your border gets.

(12-08-2019, 05:22 AM)Blighty Wrote: Use the Fuzzy Select tool to select the transparent background. Default 15 works fine.
If required, you can use Select > Invert

You literally just revolutionized the way I use the fuzzy tool lol bc I didn't realize you could do thatBig Grin
I did have to do the invert part because without it it outlined the edges of the canvas. Seriously since I know this trick I've been using it tons

(12-08-2019, 09:45 AM)rich2005 Wrote: @marigolden

Quote:but I don't want an outline on the enclosed arm area on the left frog

As you have discovered by now there are usually several different ways to get an end result. Eventually you will get your own set of favourite procedures, might not be the best way or easiest way but will suit you.

For your two little drawings and an outline. Remember you are allowed to use the eraser tool Wink

Other than using a quickmask (my favourite) I might do something like this; duration 54 seconds.  https://youtu.be/Xe1Yfbo-qxM

Thank you for your wonderful video!! A really great reminder of how handy that eraser can be..also I hadn't realize those shortcuts of shift/control I used for the fuzzy tool had actual button counterparts. Very helpful to see you use the interface

(12-08-2019, 10:13 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: How about using layerfx for making an outline ?

'Outer Glow' is based on Gaussian Blur. When you crank up the 'Spread', you have full control over how antialiased your border gets.

Hmm this is interesting..I will definitely play around with this in future if I want a broadly blended outline