Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distortion along a curve
Photo 
I'm using Gimp 2.10.34, and I'm new to the software. Also, I'm using a French version so, I'm not sure the terms I will be using here will be an accurate translation.

So I'm trying to bend a distorted image with the 'Distortion: Curve' tool in the 'Filters' menu, it appears to be exactly the tool I need, some trials have produced encouraging results. But, the preview window shows such a small image that I can't see what I'm doing. It's pretty much guess work from there. 
Is there a way to zoom in on the preview image?

Unless you can make a change in the code concerning previews, no.
MareroQ in another forum was looking at making previews larger only I cannot find his answer

Smile
(11-04-2023, 03:00 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Unless you can make a change in the code concerning previews, no.
MareroQ in another forum was looking at making previews larger only I cannot find his answer

Thanks Sallyanne,

Unfortunately, that makes that tool nearly unusable. I guess I'll have to find another solution. Gimp won't cut it this time.
The curve-bend plugin is ancient, it has been around since Gimp 2.2 when images were much smaller and there was definitely no 4k displays, a 640x480 CRT monitor was common. Why it is still there I do not know.

What you can try is the gimp_gmic_qt plugin http://www.gmic.eu and the interactive warp filter.

There is some preparation. Add transparency and grow the canvas to allow for the deformation.

This a 50 second demo: https://i.imgur.com/TddUCMz.mp4
Someone else naybe able to give you a more positive answer. Keep an eye out for more answers.

Smile
I still prefer the gmic plugin, as shown earlier, it is easier to use but for a Gimp 2.10 built-in, there is the Cage Transform tool.

Again needs transparency and a bit of working room. Looks like this:

Thanks Rich,

I will try that. For now I separated my image in 3 parts and used the perspective tool on each and stitched them back together. Still, a tool that can make it in one shot would be much better.

I will definitively try the gimp_gmic_qt plugin. Big thanks.

Smile