Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does "HELP" have a search function ?
I have the Kosher "GIMP" and it's 'HELP' files up and running now thanks to ofnuts and rich2005 !

NOW comes the myriad questions I'll be asking...............

First couple -

Does GIMP 'HELP' have a search function ?
For instance - I'd like to know if there is a 'Line Drawing' function in GIMP.

I tried inserting text into a picture (I do a lot of Reloading Forums for old 1800's English firearms)
and I take and edit pictures A LOT .

I want to underline some text, so a line drawing Function is needed (for emphasis - like THIS)

On other (less good as GIMP), drawing a Horizontal line - the Shift key KEEPS the line Horizontal...
Does GIMP have such a method of keeping the line horizontal (or vertical) ?

DoctorBill
Time is the Fire in which we burn.
Use the default Gimp help browser (the alternative in preferences is the system web browser)

F1 gets you something like this:

1. Bring up the list of topic and choose the index
2. Right click and select find
3. Type the query in the search box.

I personally do not have help installed in my system (linux) I prefer a PDF and there is a good one here: http://gimp.linux.it/www/meta/ gimp-en.pdf which is searchable and has a good index. Needs it for the 900 something pages.

How to draw a straight line.
Using a paint or pencil tool, hold the shift key down click at the beginning of the the line, drag out with the mouse to the end of the line, click to complete. Edit Should have noted that shift-ctrl constrains the line to increments of 15 deg from the horizontal.

To underline text use the on-canvas text tool, select the bits you want, click the underline button.

How to use the text tool, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChcTE9KROmc&hd=1 a little old but at least it is short.
THANKS !   That was very nice.   SO complex !

Once you enter text and are done with it, how do you leave it (finish with it)
on the Picture File ?

No matter what I do, gimp leaves a dotted line box around the lettering like
it won't 'let go', as it were.

Other programs I have used (PhotoShop Light), once you click 'OK' or move on,
the lettering is plugged into the picture and that ends it.

DoctorBill

PS - Up until now, I have used Google to find specific help for the GIMP program.
(04-10-2017, 07:32 PM)DoctorBill Wrote: Once you enter text and are done with it, how do you leave it (finish with it)
on the Picture File ?

Gimp does not have a 'neutral' tool. Once finished with the text tool choose one of the other tools. If worried that you might inadvertently change something use the measure tool.

Quote:No matter what I do, gimp leaves a dotted line box around the lettering like
it won't 'let go', as it were.

The text tool creates a new 'text' layer - It has a T in it in the layers dialog. As long as it is still a T you can go back and edit the text. Apply a transform on it, say a rotate, and it becomes a raster layer and the text can no longer be edited. The dotted line is the boundary of the layer, Select another layer and it is not seen.

Quote:Other programs I have used (PhotoShop Light), once you click 'OK' or move on,
the lettering is plugged into the picture and that ends it.

Gimp is much the same, just select another tool instead of OK.

Quote:Up until now, I have used Google to find specific help for the GIMP program.

That is as good a way as any, lots of info out there. Beware of old tutorials though, a lot has changed between Gimp 2.4 -> 2.6 -> 2.8
Thank you for that information.....I have a lot of new stuff to get used to.

I take photos with several digital cameras I have (Thrift Store Treasures).

I don't generally use very much of a program's repertoire, just contrast/brightness,
both total picture and with a 'brush' over certain places.  Then "Sharpen" again
local and general.

Text insertion is another I use to label pictures often with arrows pointing to
various things.....Date added....My name, etc.....into different forums.
Like this for example:
[Image: Lock_Mechanism_-_X.jpg]

I really liked the "Clone Tool" in PhotoShop LT (discontinued in the 90's)
under Win XP.  It allowed me to eliminated and/or change unwanted things
in my photos.......like personal stuff not to be put on the internet (!) and
non-important stuff that got into the photo....or put things into it !

A MOST USEFUL tool is another program called Graphics Workshop Pro
from ALCHEMY MINDWORKS (out of Canada) which allows general picture
manipulation (no directed brush type) - it is amazing.

http://www.mindworkshop.com/gwspro.html

They have a lot of other software, also.

DoctorBill
(04-10-2017, 07:54 PM)DoctorBill Wrote: I really liked the "Clone Tool" in PhotoShop LT (discontinued in the 90's)
in my photos.......like personal stuff not to be put on the internet (!) and
non-important stuff that got into the photo....or put things into it !

There is one Gimp (the "rubber stamp" icon).

There is also the resynthesize plugin: https://patdavid.net/2012/08/getting-aro...ction.html
(04-10-2017, 07:54 PM)DoctorBill Wrote: I really liked the "Clone Tool" in PhotoShop LT (discontinued in the 90's)
in my photos....snip...
A MOST USEFUL tool is another program called Graphics Workshop Pro
from ALCHEMY MINDWORKS

While I am a great advocate of Gimp, I also believe in using the most applicable tool for the work.

For just arrows and text and a bit of brightening / colouring then you could consider the free version of photofiltre http://photofiltre.free.fr/ There is even a clone tool that works the same way as the Gimp clone tool.

What you will lose is the tremendous flexibility that Gimp brings. It is built around plugins and third party scripts/plugins are readily available, more created all the time.

Want a tool to make an arrow? There are several but first see: http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Arrow-S...01#pid1401

Gimp is a large application but not difficult if you follow some basics.

Use lots of layers, as many as required. Do not flatten your image down to a single layer. The visibility of a layer can always be toggled on/off.

Save your work as a Gimp .xcf file. This retains all layers, guides, paths, masks - all that is needed to pick up and continue the next day or month or year. When complete, that is the time to Export your work to a jpeg or png or tif, which gives a more universal format but as a single layer.

Sad fact, but I have a large collection of antique software. The old GWS was a favourite for computer mag cover disks.