Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawing tablet changes tools
Howdy GIMP folks,

My daughter (12) is working on becoming an artist. I just purchased here a Huion G10T drawing pad based on some online reviews, and trying to make a smart investment in case she doesn't end up following through.

We've got her set up with GIMP, and everything was working fine last night. At some point however, the tablet started changing tools ever time she tries to draw with the stylus. Primarily the pencil that I'm aware of. Google isn't providing anything helpful, and I'm failing to figure out what's happening.

Does anyone have any experience with this glitch? Or should I just go deep dive with reinstalling everything and learning how to use it myself for trouble shooting?

Thanks!
White text on a white background.
(And a very large font)

Howdy GIMP folks,

My daughter (12) is working on becoming an artist. I just purchased here a Huion G10T drawing pad based on some online reviews, and trying to make a smart investment in case she doesn't end up following through.

We've got her set up with GIMP, and everything was working fine last night. At some point however, the tablet started changing tools ever time she tries to draw with the stylus. Primarily the pencil that I'm aware of. Google isn't providing anything helpful, and I'm failing to figure out what's happening.

Does anyone have any experience with this glitch? Or should I just go deep dive with reinstalling everything and learning how to use it myself for trouble shooting?

Thanks!
Please, please before posting read https://www.gimp-forum.net/misc.php?action=help&hid=9 the etiquette section.

The only brand of tablet that you stand a good chance with is Wacom, only because Gimp is developed in Linux and Wacom support is built into Linux not because of cost or quality. Tablet (any make) support in Gimp 2.8.x is not wonderful,the Gimp 2.6.x series is better. AFAIK the developers are aware and are working on this for future versions of Gimp.

Quote:.. the tablet started changing tools ever time she tries to draw with the stylus. Primarily the pencil that I'm aware of. Google isn't providing anything helpful, and I'm failing to figure out what's happening.

This might be by design (or might be the tablet). The mouse setup and the tablet setup are separate, including the tools that are used. Use the mouse using brush1 and colour1 change to the tablet stylus and likely as not get brush2 and colour2.

I personally find this very annoying, fortunately I only pull my old tablet out once-in-a-blue-moon.
(10-20-2017, 02:00 AM)Ralphwolf Wrote: Howdy GIMP folks,

Thanks!

Not too clear but you may be experiencing the normal behavior:

1. When the tablet is recognized as such it is a new "Pointing device" for Gimp (or even two new devices, if you have a reversible pen). Pointing devices are shown in Windows>Dockable dialogs>Devices
  2. Each pointing device has its own set of selections: tool, colors, brush, pattern, gradient. Edit>Preferences>Tool options allow you to make some of these shared between tools, but the tool is always specific to the device
  3. When you select a tool, it is set for the active device. So if you select a tool by pointing/clicking, it has to be with the device you will use.
(10-20-2017, 07:38 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Not too clear but you may be experiencing the normal behavior:

1. When the tablet is recognized as such it is a new "Pointing device" for Gimp (or even two new devices, if you have a reversible pen). Pointing devices are shown in Windows>Dockable dialogs>Devices
  2. Each pointing device has its own set of selections: tool, colors, brush, pattern, gradient. Edit>Preferences>Tool options allow you to make some of these shared between tools, but the tool is always specific to the device
  3. When you select a tool, it is set for the active device. So if you select a tool by pointing/clicking, it has to be with the device you will use.

This is almost certainly what's happening. I'll go over the train of thought with her next time I get a chance. You sir, are a great help. Thanks!

(10-20-2017, 07:27 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Please, please before posting read https://www.gimp-forum.net/misc.php?action=help&hid=9 the etiquette section.

Unfortunately that isn't linked from the front page, or I would have read it in the first place. I went and read it. Was I in some way in violation? Because I can't see anything I did that would be considered "bad etiquette". Also, the tablet was working perfectly, which is why I sought out a software solution. I was correct about that. Wacom tablets are WAY too expensive for me to indulge my 12 year olds desire to experiment.

Also, as I re-read your reply, the solution you offered is correct. Initially I couldn't understand what you were getting at. So thanks for that.
(10-22-2017, 08:02 PM)Ralphwolf Wrote: Was I in some way in violation? Because I can't see anything I did that would be considered "bad etiquette".

It was a good chance to remind everyone about formatting, and points out.

Font colours, bold and italics and other typographic variations should be used for emphasis of parts of a post, not an entire post

Large white text on a white background is not the best way to make a post.
(10-22-2017, 08:25 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 08:02 PM)Ralphwolf Wrote: Was I in some way in violation? Because I can't see anything I did that would be considered "bad etiquette".

It was a good chance to remind everyone about formatting, and points out.

Font colours, bold and italics and other typographic variations should be used for emphasis of parts of a post, not an entire post

Large white text on a white background is not the best way to make a post.

I pasted a post I made on another forum after someone told me it was dead, and to come here. I wasn't aware that it had come through as white text, and it didn't show as such on my phone. Thanks to whoever fixed it I guess? (Right, that was you. Derp) I can't seem to find an edit button on my post either.