Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drawing tablet suitable for Gimp-Huion Kamvas 13?
Heart 
Hello fellow Gimp users

I'm wondering if anyone can help me by recommending a drawing tablet for Gimp?  I'm using Windows 10 and the latest version of Gimp.  Does anyone use the Kamvas 13?  I've seen mixed reviews online with some saying it doesn't work with Gimp.

Thank you for any recommendations  Heart
I just got a Kamvas 13 this week. I am just starting to use it.
Does it work with GIMP?
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: I'm still figuring that out.
Explanation: It readily works just like a mouse, except the form factor is better for your hand. But I'm guessing you want to take advantage of the pressure sensitivity the stylus affords you. I found this video that shows how to turn it on in GIMP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQl6ZQFDiJ4
That works. But...When I draw a line quickly, it's beaded, or it looks like you took a flat ribbon and twisted it. I'm guessing something to do with the pen/tablet refresh rate? It's maybe not sending enough samples, if that makes sense?
I actually came here to figure out the beading...

EDIT: This problem occurs with "Basic Dynamics." But in the brush options pane, right below Force and to the left of the word "Dynamics" there is a little square icon. Clicking that icon allows you to choose Dynamics mode, like Pressure Size or Pressure Opacity. The beading issue does not occur in these modes.
So does the Kamvas 13 work with GIMP? I'm satisfied so far, so I say "Yes."
(06-25-2021, 11:59 PM)trmnshwrx Wrote: I just got a Kamvas 13 this week. I am just starting to use it.
Does it work with GIMP?
Explanation: It readily works just like a mouse, except the form factor is better for your hand. But I'm guessing you want to take advantage of the pressure sensitivity the stylus affords you. I found this video that shows how to turn it on in GIMP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQl6ZQFDiJ4
That works. But...When I draw a line quickly, it's beaded, or it looks like you took a flat ribbon and twisted it. I'm guessing something to do with the pen/tablet refresh rate? It's maybe not sending enough samples, if that makes sense?

EDIT: This problem occurs with "Basic Dynamics." But in the brush options pane, right below Force and to the left of the word "Dynamics" there is a little square icon. Clicking that icon allows you to choose Dynamics mode, like Pressure Size or Pressure Opacity. The beading issue does not occur in these modes.

Is this what you call "beaded"?

I get this if I increase the brush spacing.

As to the ribbon effect, the "Basic Dynamics" map (among other things) the brush size to the velocity (this mapping works backwards, the faster you go, the smaller the brush and the thinner the line).

Dynamics are very powerful but the standard ones may not be suited to your habits (or to the response curve of your hand+tablet). If you use a tablet you should learn to customize them.
(06-25-2021, 11:59 PM)trmnshwrx Wrote: Bless you and thanks for your reply. I gave in and got a Wacom cintiq in the end(wanted a bit more space) got impatient as couldn't find any info about using Kamvas 13 and gimp. 

I've heard good things about the Kamvas so if you've got it working alongside gimp you're onto a winner 

Happy drawing :-)

P.s not encountered the beading thing yet but that's useful to know,  thank you. 

I just got a Kamvas 13 this week. I am just starting to use it.
Does it work with GIMP?

Huion kamvas 13 is an affordable 13-inch pen display for digital painting, I have one and use it to work with krita.
As for editing photos in Gimp, I prefer the huion hs64 non-screen tablet. pctechtest