Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop Shadows
Photo 
Hi everyone :

I'm still learning GIMP.  I'm  trying to learning how to add SHADOWS to text and objects.
 I open GIMP>OPEN AS LAYER> select .jpg file.  Then I use the SCALE tool to "enlarge" the file.  After that, I click on ADD ALPHA CHANNEL. Then select FUZZY tool. After that,  I select the box next to the one that shows the object. I use that one to do the "erasing" of the bacground. Sometimes the DROP SHADOW/LONG SHADOW options are greyed out. But if I select the box (in LAYERS) showing the object, the background won't erase.  The other problem is....if I DO get the shadows to work.....it's cutoff ( I used the LAYER BOUNDARY SIZE / LAYER TO IMAGE SIZE).
Advice ?

garystan

Attached Files Image(s)

It cuts because the size of your layer is too small
On the top menu go to, Layer > Layer to Image Size, then do your drop shadow
Trying to follow your workflow, and more questions than answers Wink

Quote:I open GIMP>OPEN AS LAYER> select .jpg file. Then I use the SCALE tool to "enlarge" the file. After that, I click on ADD ALPHA CHANNEL. Then select FUZZY tool.

OK, except after making / applying the selection turn the selection OFF. You might have to leave that until after the next bit.

Quote:After that, I select the box next to the one that shows the object. I use that one to do the "erasing" of the bacground. Sometimes the DROP SHADOW/LONG SHADOW options are greyed out.

Which 'box' ? Is this a layer mask ? You can not apply the GEGL shadow to a masked layer. Apply the layer mask first, Layer -> Mask -> Apply Layer Mask Otherwise greyed out.

Quote:But if I select the box (in LAYERS) showing the object, the background won't erase.

Not sure what that means.

Quote:The other problem is....if I DO get the shadows to work.....it's cutoff ( I used the LAYER BOUNDARY SIZE / LAYER TO IMAGE SIZE).

The GEGL Drop Shadow / Long Shadow has a "Clipping" option Set it to "Adjust"

All depends on your image but it might go like this https://imgur.com/K5aOQ3S.mp4