Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drop shadow filter not available :(
Hi! 

I hope someone can help me. I'm trying to use the drop shadow filters, but unfortunatly the button is not available in my GIMP. I thought, perhaps it is because of my language settings, but i've also tried to change them via preferences, which did not help. 

Please see attached print screen! 

Thanks Smile 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you want to create a shadow you have to have something to put he shadow on, in this case another layer. Make another layer under the object you want to shadow and the drop shadow menu is activated.
(03-04-2021, 10:48 PM)tamaarr91 Wrote: Hi! 

I hope someone can help me. I'm trying to use the drop shadow filters, but unfortunatly the button is not available in my GIMP. I thought, perhaps it is because of my language settings, but i've also tried to change them via preferences, which did not help. 

Please see attached print screen! 

Thanks Smile 

The drop shadow only applies to layers with an alpha channel so you would have to add one first (Layer>Transparency>Add alpha channel). 

However, given that your image is a single opaque layer, I don' t think this is what you want to do. If you want to add a drop shadow on something, this something has to be on its own layer, surrounded by transparency (if you flattened the image, this should happen before you flatten, but even flattening is unnecessary).