Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplicate layers question
I have a circle that I want to add a small rectangle to the top and bottom. (Think like an apple stem). So I have the circle on one layer. 
I create new layer and make the "stem" with rectangle tool. 
So far so good.
Now I want my "stem" to be identical on the bottom. So I want to duplicate layer nd then flip the new layer so it' now on bottom.

My problem is this...
When I flip the new layer, the 1st "stem" layer flips also!
Now I have 2 on the bottom and none on top. I'm pulling my hair out!

Why does the other (not highlighted) layer flip also?
More importantly, how do I stop this from happening? 

Thanks in advance, 
Nigh
Works for me. The only explanation I have is that you have "linked" the two layers(*). When layers (and other objects)  have "links" (link icon right next to the view icon in the list), then transforms applied to one object are also applied to the other linked objects. 

The fix is to click on these links icons to remove them.

(*) How could this happen by mistake? Simple: if a layer has a link and you duplicate it, the copy also has the link. So you could have linked the first layer by mistake (when only one layer is linked, nothing changes so it goes unnoticed) and the link stuck wen you duplicated it.
Ofnuts,
Thanks for the reply.

My layers are not linked. At least there is no "chain" icon highlighted next to either layer.

I' not at my computer atm. When I get home, I'll grab some screen shots.
I have version 10 btw

Thanks,
Nigh
(05-06-2018, 08:43 AM)Nigh Wrote: I have version 10 btw

I did the tests on 2.10
I figured it out.
I was not using the "flip" tool. I was doing it from the "layer" drop down menu. 
Once I used the flip tool, everything went fine.

Thanks,
Nigh
Layer>Transform>Flip won't change things on two layers unless they are linked.  But if your circle is right in the middle, Image>Transform>Flip will flip everything, and you won't notice that the circle has been flipped as well, making you think that only the two stems have been flipped.