Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamics
Something I hardly use when using a brush or anything else. Because I have no idea about it. Just track direction and dynamics off.
I have never seen a Tutorial on them except the one Pix made at GC recently. But have no idea how to create new ones - and/or use them.
I may use them more or may not if someone could come up with a tutorial on them - maybe explain them etc. please.

Smile
(03-03-2024, 08:41 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Something I hardly use when using a brush or anything else. Because I have no idea about it. Just track direction and dynamics off.
I have never seen a Tutorial on them except the one Pix made at GC recently. But have no idea how to create new ones - and/or use them.
I may use them more or may not if someone could come up with a tutorial on them - maybe explain them etc. please.

A very large collection of pre-sets here, with help on installation and several links to demo videos

https://github.com/SenlinOS/SLOS-GIMPainter
Can I make a suggestion. 
The Gimp documentation on paint-dynamics is here: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-tool-dynamics.html

A bit tedious to work through but it does tell you how to make a new dynamic. That gets saved in your Gimp profile folder ....GIMP/2.10/dynamics/

Make a new empty dynamic, no settings. That will let you try things out without much bother, not all dynamics go well together. As an example: https://i.imgur.com/RezTSm5.mp4 You can make a border with symmetry painting and a brush is up-to-you, I am using an animated .gih brush.

One thing to remember, there is no OK button with dynamics, Close Gimp and the settings are kept. Designed to confuse the new user the next time they use Gimp Wink Untick everything when finished.
Thank you rich

by the way you may beable to tell me. What causes brushes to go very slow. Like the speed of the brush is much slower than the movement.

Smile
(03-03-2024, 11:55 AM)sallyanne Wrote: ...by the way you may be able to tell me. What causes brushes to go very slow. Like the speed of the brush is much slower than the movement.

I do not know, I have read that using a very large brush can cause a 'drag / offset / delay'
Also a vague memory that depending on image, the layers preview. Turning off, Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Previews might speed things up. Although that might just have been for layer groups.

There
@rich, that's what I thought it was at first, but it happens with default sizes. I have played with the mapping matrix before and maybe I hit somthing I shouldn't have?
btw. I have downloaded all the presets. Thankyou

Smile
(03-03-2024, 11:55 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Thank you rich

by the way you may beable to tell me. What causes brushes to go very slow. Like the speed of the brush is much slower than the movement.

Hi Sallyanne
checking Smooth stroke and increasing the slider Weight and the Spacing at 1 WILL make the brush slow , higher the setting of the weight slider, slower and more delay will have the brush, big brush and Spacing at 1 alone can also slow the brush
I did not put an arrow on the Quality slider in Smooth stroke, but it slows the brush as well when high with Spacing 1

Patrice
Pix. Thanks.

Edit. I do not have quality & weight in my gimp - 2.10.36. I made the spacing at 1 and it is still slow
Here are my tool options for brush    

Edit again. BTW I have hit the 'reset to default' a few times now too

Smile
(03-05-2024, 06:51 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Pix. Thanks.

Edit. I do not have quality & weight in my gimp - 2.10.36. I made the spacing at 1 and it is still slow
Here are my tool options for brush

Edit again. BTW I have hit the 'reset to default' a few times now too

hi Sallyanne, check the option of smooth stroke and a sub menu will appear

But if you never checked this option, the slow brush effect you have could come from spacing and the size in relation with Spacing and the brush type
Patrice