Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy cropping
Hello,

What is the easiest way to explicitly crop from any edge? e.g. how to crop, say, 8px from the left, 10px from the right, and 12px from the bottom without using a mouse? A text box where I can enter the number or numbers I want would be good.

The instructions for changing a selection don't work for me. Can the same be done for a rectangular selection box using absolute or relative coordinates, i.e. a modal windows with four text boxes that dynamically shows the new selection rectangle on the image?

Thanks in advance

Ethel
The Tool Options dialog for the crop tool allows you to specify numeric pixel values for the x and y offsets and for the height and width - OK you have to do the sums to get the right and bottom margins as you want but that's straightforwards.

(10-07-2020, 02:57 PM)Ethel Wrote: Hello,

What is the easiest way to explicitly crop from any edge? e.g. how to crop, say, 8px from the left, 10px from the right, and 12px from the bottom without using a mouse? A text box where I can enter the number or numbers I want would be good.

The instructions for changing a selection don't work for me. Can the same be done for a rectangular selection box using absolute or relative coordinates, i.e. a modal windows with four text boxes that dynamically shows the new selection rectangle on the image?

Thanks in advance

Ethel
The Crop tool has entry fields in the Tool options. It works using coordinates of the top left corner (these are also your top and left margins) and cropped size, but these fields can also be used with math formulas ( 400-(8+10) ) if your image is 400px and you want an 8px margin on the right and a 10px margin on left).
Same as the other two + an example

You can enter the values into the Crop tool options. At the bottom, direct entry for origin and size of the crop.

Make a crop on the canvas, anywhere , any size

Quote:...8px from the left, 10px from the right, and 12px from the bottom..

That gives the origin as 8 pix and 0 pix (since nothing to come off the top )

Gimp can do the arithmetic for you
In the Width enter image: width - 8 - 10 (for the left and right crop )
In the Depth enter image: depth - 12 (to crop the bottom)

The crop area will adjust to those values, click in it to effect the crop.

FWIW example https://i.imgur.com/grwEAVK.mp4
Thanks for that I hadn't realised that GIMP would evaluate simple expressions.

(10-07-2020, 03:41 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Same as the other two + an example

You can enter the values into the Crop tool options. At the bottom, direct entry for origin and size of the crop.

Make a crop on the canvas, anywhere , any size

Quote:...8px from the left, 10px from the right, and 12px from the bottom..

That gives the origin as 8 pix and 0 pix (since nothing to come off the top )

Gimp can do the arithmetic for you
In the Width enter image: width - 8 - 10 (for the left and right crop )
In the Depth enter image: depth - 12 (to crop the bottom)

The crop area will adjust to those values, click in it to effect the crop.

FWIW example https://i.imgur.com/grwEAVK.mp4
Thank you. Now I am learning how to redisplay Tools Options.
Do not be persuaded by the 'Make-Gimp-Look-Like-PS' brigade. You need Tool Options easily available.

Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Tool Options (top of the list of available docks)