Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edit Color in a wallpaper
Hello , Im new here so please be gentle...lol...

Im wanting to edit a certain color in a wallpaper but cant seem to figure it out or find any useful information. Im wanting to edit everything in Red to #1abc9c. Is this possible and any useful info is greatly appreciated...Thanks in Advance.

Im using GIMP 2.10[Image: search?biw=1366&bih=633&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei...f3-dHa_5M:]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Actually you want to translate a range of colors around red into a range of colors around #1abc9c.

Easily done with Colors>Map>Rotate colors: in the top circle you select the input range (mind the angle arrow and its direction) and in the bottom circle you select the output range.
(10-22-2018, 08:43 PM)n3cdx Wrote: Hello , Im new here so please be gentle...lol...

Im wanting to edit a certain color in a wallpaper but cant seem to figure it out or find any useful information. Im wanting to edit everything in Red to #1abc9c. Is this possible and any useful info is greatly appreciated...Thanks in Advance.

Im using GIMP 2.10[Image: search?biw=1366&bih=633&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei...f3-dHa_5M:]

First, add an alpha channel.

Second, color to alpha and choose black.

Third, lock pixels transparency.

Fourth, select the red areas and fill with #1abc9c.

Fifth, create a new background layer at the bottom of the stack and fill with black.

Actually, a much easier way is to do a colors->hue saturation adjustment:

Select the red value at the top and move the hue slider

(10-22-2018, 11:42 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Actually you want to translate a range of colors around red into a range of colors around #1abc9c.

Easily done with Colors>Map>Rotate colors: in the top circle you select the input range (mind the angle arrow and its direction) and in the bottom circle you select the output range.

Thank you for the reply. Im not sure Im following you completely. Top circle, bottom circle. When I open Colors>Map>Rotate Colors, I see 3 circles? Is there a way to pre-select the destination color? Like, could I just type the hex code?
(10-23-2018, 02:39 AM)n3cdx Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 11:42 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Actually you want to translate a range of colors around red into a range of colors around #1abc9c.

Thank you for the reply. Im not sure Im following you completely. Top circle, bottom circle. When I open Colors>Map>Rotate Colors, I see 3 circles? Is there a way to pre-select the destination color? Like, could I just type the hex code?

Make that first and second if you are on 2.10 (dialog is now in one tab). Unfortunately you have to eyeball the color. To help you can enter the HTML value in a thr Foreground color selector, and see what hue this is. Then you go back to the Rotate Color dialog and can define a range around that hue. You cannot be 100% accurate, because if you were really changing the pixels to one color, the whole thing would look very flat.
(10-22-2018, 11:49 PM)mholder Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 08:43 PM)n3cdx Wrote: Hello , Im new here so please be gentle...lol...

First, add an alpha channel.

Second, color to alpha and choose black.

Third, lock pixels transparency.

Fourth, select the red areas and fill with #1abc9c.

Fifth, create a new background layer at the bottom of the stack and fill with black.

After the color-to-alpha, you have semi-transparent pixels. If you lock the pixels, make a selection and fill with a color, you leave out the semi-transparent pixels, which is why you have to add the black background to fill the holes. Instead, after the color-to-alpha, you can bucket fill the whole layer (no selection) in Behind mode. This will fil the transparency with the color.
Maybe, & only because the wallpaper background is black. An overlay, missing out the KDE in bottom corner.

Set the Overlay layer mode to LCh Hue (but try out HSV Hue as well, it is a bit lighter) example: https://i.imgur.com/ButiFXh.jpg
@Ofnuts

What is 'behind' mode?
It is a special mode for paint tools. As its name implies, it work as if you were painting on the back of the layer, behind the existing colors (so the paint  is visible only where the initial pixels are at least partially transparent). It is strictly equivalent to adding a layer below the one your want to paint, bucket-filling it with the color, and then merging down the target layer.

See here for some examples.
A "lateral" question:
- is there a PDB function callable for doing the Map/Rotate Colours?
I see it's a GEGL operation in 2.10, but it was there also on 2.8, so maybe there is a "legacy" pdb-equivalent function