Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing GIF, getting "shadows" from previous frames
A picture is worth a thousand words:

[Image: test3.gif]

I'm not objecting to how the strands of hair keep changing; that’s unavoidable, because I hand-drew them in each frame based on his head position, which is constantly shifting.

The problem, as you have probably already guessed, is the haze of orange dots that are like shadows of hair strands from previous frames. What are they, and how do I get rid of them? Much gratitude to anyone who can help me!
SaveSave
I have never drawn anything on a frame before so I have no experience with what you have done. My own suggestion is if you still have a version of your project file before indexing the colors. Go back to that version, and reindex but select either of the color dithering options. See which one provides the best results for your gif. I don't know as I've never done this before.

Edit: Check your layers with the animation, and make sure none of them are set to dissolve mode
(02-27-2018, 06:11 AM)SolidSnake2003 Wrote: I have never drawn anything on a frame before so I have no experience with what you have done.  My own suggestion is if you still have a version of your project file before indexing the colors.  Go back to that version, and reindex but select either of the color dithering options.  See which one provides the best results for your gif.  I don't know as I've never done this before.

Edit: Check your layers with the animation, and make sure none of them are set to dissolve mode

The original GIF isn't mine, so I didn’t index the colors, or do anything else to it; all I did was add the orange hair. I just started using Gimp a couple of days ago, so I don’t know what re-indexing or dithering are, or how to check for dissolve mode…?
Your frames are in (combine) mode (due to some GIF optimization) and are really full of small holes through which the previous frame shows. Here is a random frame over a green background:

If you edit an optimized GIF, you should un-optimize it first (Filters>Animation>Unoptimize) so that all frames become completely opaque, and use (replace) mode.
(02-27-2018, 07:10 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Your frames are in (combine) mode (due to some GIF optimization) and are really full of small holes through which the previous frame shows. Here is a random frame over a green background:

If you edit an optimized GIF, you should un-optimize it first (Filters>Animation>Unoptimize) so that all frames become completely opaque, and use (replace) mode.

Cool image! 

Will the frames being opaque cause a problem with the stuff that is SUPPOSED to show through from the background layer?

If it’s possible to make the layers opaque and still have the final GIF look right… Can I de-optimize my finished image, or do I have to go back to the beginning, de-optimize the original GIF, and redo 15 frames of hand-drawing?

What is replace mode? (Sorry, my learning curve is very steep here.)
(02-27-2018, 07:50 AM)HavingTooMuchFun Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 07:10 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Your frames are in (combine) mode (due to some GIF optimization) and are really full of small holes through which the previous frame shows. Here is a random frame over a green background:

Cool image! 

Will the frames being opaque cause a problem with the stuff that is SUPPOSED to show through from the background layer?

If it’s possible to make the layers opaque and still have the final GIF look right… Can I de-optimize my finished image, or do I have to go back to the beginning, de-optimize the original GIF, and redo 15 frames of hand-drawing?

If you deoptimize the final image you'll ave yellow pixels all over. 

The basic GIF is made of all opaque frames in (replace) mode. (combine) is an optimization, only useful if you have large parts of your image that are identical between two frames. But given the noise in your frames, this isn't useful.
(02-27-2018, 08:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 07:50 AM)HavingTooMuchFun Wrote:

Cool image! 

The basic GIF is made of all opaque frames in (replace) mode. (combine) is an optimization, only useful if you have large parts of your image that are identical between two frames. But given the noise in your frames, this isn't useful.

Ok, that sounds like I can't de-optimize my final image, bummer... I still don't know what replace mode is, or how to use it, or if making the frames opaque will cause problems with how the image looks. Smile
(02-27-2018, 09:08 PM)HavingTooMuchFun Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 08:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 07:50 AM)HavingTooMuchFun Wrote: Cool image! 

Ok, that sounds like I can't de-optimize my final image, bummer... I still don't know what replace mode is, or how to use it, or if making the frames opaque will cause problems with how the image looks. Smile

In replace mode,  each frame completely replace the previous one (which is removed), there are no pixels left visible from the previous frame. In combine mode, the new frame just overlays the previous one, which remains visible where the new frame is transparent.
(02-28-2018, 01:23 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 09:08 PM)HavingTooMuchFun Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 08:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you deoptimize the final image you'll ave yellow pixels all over. 

In replace mode,  each frame completely replace the previous one (which is removed), there are no pixels left visible from the previous frame. In combine mode, the new frame just overlays the previous one, which remains visible where the new frame is transparent.

That helps, thanks! I still don't get all the technical stuff, but I understood enough to fix the issue:

[Image: test%2Bre-optimized.gif]
SaveSave