Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eraser doesn't drag in a smooth line..any way to get it to?
When I try to drag it it only leaves separated dots vs a smooth line. Is there a way to fix it
(12-25-2019, 08:07 PM)marigolden Wrote: When I try to drag it it only leaves separated dots vs a smooth line. Is there a way to fix it

Best guess: You have the tool spacing greater than 100.

The erase tool is similar to the paint tool, spacing is a percentage of the size value, so greater than 100 will leave gaps.
(12-25-2019, 08:31 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(12-25-2019, 08:07 PM)marigolden Wrote: When I try to drag it it only leaves separated dots vs a smooth line. Is there a way to fix it

Best guess: You have the tool spacing greater than 100.

The erase tool is similar to the paint tool, spacing is a percentage of the size value, so greater than 100 will leave gaps.

Ah yes it was! Do you know what the default spacing value is?
(12-27-2019, 12:33 AM)marigolden Wrote: Ah yes it was! Do you know what the default spacing value is?

A good question. The spacing in the tool-options (left side of above screenshot) only came in with Gimp 2.10 Prior to that, spacing was controlled by the slider under the brushes dock (right side of screenshot)

The spacing is held in the brush file something.gbr / .vbr / .gih and if you ever make your own the default is 10.

For the brushes that come with Gimp, the ones in C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes These are not editable by the user, so when you start Gimp the values shown under the brushes dock are the standard values. A lot of them are 10, star for example is 50, some of the animated brushes are 75 to 100.

The spacing settings you make in the tool options are carried over from previous use. So keep an eye on the brushes dock and set the tool option value to coincide. As far as I know, click on Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options -> Reset Tool Options to Default Values and a Gimp restart sets everything back to standard.