Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
adjust identical image to match tone
Hello everyone,

I've been using Gimp for a while and I am fairly confident in its usage but find myself struggling to do a colour/tone match.
I have tried the methods used in youtube videos but the technique doesn't really work for what I need.
Those videos involve adding an image to a background and matching the tone, rather than getting 2 identical images to match.

I have two images (attached) which are of the same thing and I need to match new.jpg so it looks the same as old.jpg
Whether it be done using a new layer or not doesn't matter, as long as it is reproduceable.

Is anyone able to assist in how to do it, or can do it for me?  It's a one off project.

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Try this method: https://patdavid.net/2012/07/getting-aro...ore-color/
“Not like a Brastemp”, but I tried...

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
You can try this : https://www.dustfreesolutions.com/CT/CT.html

Sorry for the delay but finally had some time to try out that webpage denzjos - the result looks amazing and so easy! Thanks so much I really appreciate it.
Thankyou Krikor and Ofnuts also for your assistance!
(09-18-2022, 12:38 AM)applor Wrote: Sorry for the delay but finally had some time to try out that webpage denzjos - the result looks amazing and so easy!  Thanks so much I really appreciate it.
Thankyou Krikor and Ofnuts also for your assistance!

applor,

Good that you resolved this issue.

Just for the record, I used a plugin from Diego (aka Dinasset): TransferCoulors.py

Details at :
https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?p=1396#p1396

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?p=25897#p25897

Dinasset and Tin,

I've always really liked this plugin, thanks again!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Hi Krikor,

I got all excited at the match using the webpage link but then realised I need to be able to apply the same filter to a different image, so alas it was not resolved.
I have since been going through Ofnuts method which has been a learning experience but may produce results.

I should have clarified in my OP that the reason I am doing this is I need to print out the image to cover up the grey paint over the window you can see in the old.jpg
I have the source image used to produce the old.jpg, however on my printer the colour is different which is the new.jpg
So by comparing the difference between the two printers in Gimp, I can then apply the same adjustment to the source material so that when it prints it looks the same as the old.jpg (instead of new.jpg) and can then use it to seamlessly cover up the grey paint.

Thanks for providing your plugin, I will also give that a go and just see if I can get a close enough result that the cover image doesn't look out of place.
The workflow from the link that Ofnuts mentioned is the best I used so far for my own photos. Sometimes you have to finetune the result with the curves or levels. I suggest after you have used the workflow to make a canvas that is twice the width of the pictures and paste them side by side on this canvas. This help you to finetune the result. Don't expect to get a 100% match, but 99.99% is good enough I think.
Because both pictures have a different grain structure (the one is more blurred than the other), it is different to get a good pixel color to change the color tone. Maybe a solution is to use a color filter and 'grain merge' the color with the picture you want to change. Place the photos side by side and place a grey layer on the picture you want to change (layer mode ' grain merge'). Use the color sliders to get the right color (use the 'Bucket Fill Tool' to change the grey color)    

Thanks denzjos. I have however followed Ofnuts procedure and found the match I came up with to be extremely close and suitable for the overlay.