Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clearing canvas texture from photo of artwork
(03-05-2019, 08:43 AM)dmaarie Wrote: ...I was looking to keep the uneven layer of grey paint. Not a solid grey for the background. Basically, the exact kind of grey background i painted but no texture haha seeming to be unachievable.

Was it a sort of streaky canvas? Not easy to determine from the clip.

You might be able to re-create using the mypaint tools. A bit slow with maxed out brushes on a large canvas but gets there. 

(03-05-2019, 08:43 AM)dmaarie Wrote: Basically, the exact kind of grey background i painted but no texture

My try:

1. Use Select by Color Tool to select the black (threshold 50).

2. Select > Grow grow by 1 pixel

3. Select > Save to Channel

4. Select the Layers Dialogue and click on the image layer

5. Copy, then Paste. In the Layers Dialogue a new Floating Selection layer is created. Right click on this and select To New Layer. You now have the black on its own layer. Click on the eye of this layer to switch off this layer.

6. Switch to Channels Dialogue, click on the channel saved from step 3, and click on the Replace selection with this selection button. The original selection is restored.

7.  Select > Grow grow by 2 pixels

8. Filters > Enhance > Heal Selection. This step requires that the Resynthesizer plug-in is installed.

9. Select > None

10. Filters > Blur > Gaussian blur - use 5

11. Switch on the eye on the black layer to make it visible.

Attached Files Image(s)

(03-05-2019, 08:43 AM)dmaarie Wrote: Thank you to you both, though I was looking to keep the uneven layer of grey paint. Not a solid grey for the background. Basically, the exact kind of grey background i painted but no texture haha seeming to be unachievable.

Maybe Ill just create prints of the figures with different coloured solid backgrounds instead. Not the end of the world.

Thanks for the help.

You can recreate a plain grey background:
  • Sample the color of your background at the beginning (using "Sample average" and a sufficiently large radius),
  • Blow out/remove the background using the techniques expounded above
  • Add a layer, drag it below your art
  • Bucket fill with the color sampled earlier
  • You can also use that color to do touch-ups to fix spots

Thank you, I will try these new options!