Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a plugin for this? Tiled preview
So I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kPpfLmelIs And right at the very beginning you can see he sets up a little preview window that shows what his given selection would look like if it were tiled.  I thought this was amazing because it gives him a real-time preview of the changes he makes to his design, where as I have had to make various changes, and then use filters -> Maps -> Tile to generate a preview image of what my selection looks like when it tiles.  It's effective, but it is a bit time consuming, and I would love to be able to see those changes real-time without having to run special commands; especially at the very early stages of creating a tile.

Is there any plug-in or way to create such an effect in GIMP?  I'd like to keep all my work in GIMP if I could, rather than having to get this iDraw just for one single feature.
Maybe someone will come up with something. There is a plugin for Inkscape that does just that - a real time in a 3x3 grid but nothing I know of for Gimp.

Just as a comment, using an old GTK gmic plugin (for some reason the QT version does not update) not realtime but toggle the preview off/on, updates as drawn. https://i.imgur.com/xF68gJc.jpg

It might be worth asking over at https://discuss.pixls.us/ for ideas.
Have you tried the "Tile" setting of the symmetry painting on 2.10?
(01-25-2019, 12:16 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Have you tried the "Tile" setting of the symmetry painting on 2.10?
Hmm, it looks like I just have version 2.8.10, so obviously I haven't.
I'm looking up some info on this feature and it looks pretty interesting, so I guess I'll grab a new version of GIMP.

By the way, this feature has me wondering, where exactly are features like this being made to the program?  As in, who is creating them and deciding what gets added?  Because I can think of a number of nifty features I would like to see added to GIMP, and I would like to know where I could offer suggestions that would actually be heard and considered.  Just looking at this tile option for symmetry painting, I can think of some tweaks that I'd probably like to see.  (I'll want to actually try it before I say for sure, though.)
Because someone wrote them. Remember, Gimp is volunteer work. For something to be added it needs:
  • Someone who understands the problem and has an idea about how to solve it
  • Has enough time/incentive
  • Has enough coding skills
Of course, the core developer has a say  bout the inclusion of the resulting code in the Gimp code base, but many features are implemented as plugins, so they don't need to be part of the Gimp codebase.

AFAIK symmetry painting is a bit special, because the author (Jehan Pages, otherwise a regular contributor) set up a Patreon account to allow people to subsidize him to give him more time to implement this feature.
Wondering how to get the original request for a small preview window for creating tiles while using symmetry painting and of course with a bit of Gimp wrangling.

Gimp in multi-window mode
A canvas as a multiple of the required tile.
Guides set for the tile size
A new view for the preview window, sized small.

Zoom in one of the sections for the design and when complete crop to size, that is what guides are for.

All depends how keen you are.

Hmm, I'm thinking the features I really want to add to GIMP are ones that would extend beyond a simple plug-in.  To replicate Photoshop's HD Index Painting the program would need some new layer effects that probably need to change some of the base code of the program.

I guess the software is open source, but maaaan that is beyond my level of programming skill.