Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export as... PDF goes totally wrong!
Sad 
Hi there!
I've tried to open this topic here in Gimp 2.10 but I'm not allowed to start a thread there so, now I'm here. Angel

I'm a newbie in Gimp!

I've read and watch many videos about using gimp and I'm happy so far.

Now I wanted to open an existing PDF. This works. I've created 3 groups, because my already existing PDF has 3 pages in it. So every group has a site in it. (a pdf site is handled by gimp as a "picture" ... so far I know ... and that's ok so far)
To this: In each group I have a bunch auf text layers.

Everything looks fine and looks like it should be!

Now I'm going to export as... pdf ... aaaand ... it's a desaster!
Gimp creates not only all groups as a site (what it should, actually) but also all layers, too!
In gimp everything looks great and correct, all layers are "on" the picture in every group itself... but when I export all groups every single layer is created as a site in the exported single pdf document. So I have now one PDF file with lots of lots of layers as sites. Stupid, I guess. *laugh*

Now: What did I wrong?

I mean, look at the end of this video! He can do it, but not me! *sigh* (I've not reproduced his video, I just start with an already existing PDF (an official form for a public authority)

Thank you very much for helping me out of my pdf desaster. ^.^
In his video, he has one layer per page (look at the layers list).

I have this old flatten-groups script that you can use to flatten your top groups (possibly on an image duplicate) before exporting.
Hello Ofnuts!
Thank you very much for helping me. But, unfortunately, maybe I described my problem as to complicated.
I can say, his project looks like mine. and if you watch at 10:19 around, he say, every single layer would be on its own page.
Yeah this is my case, so he put every layer in groups. Gimp will handle "Layer groups" as one page in the entire pdf file.
And this is my problem: He is doing right, I'm not. *sigh*
I mean, I do everything he said and he showed up .... then I go to export, do the exact same thing and bam, he has one pdf with 3 pages in it... I got a pdf with many pages, cos Gimp set every layer as its own page.
And I really don't know why...
Your advise I could install a script I am sorry but I can't do it (to stupid to understand that).
I just don't understand why he can do a PDF like in the video and I can not.
Thank you very much!
Hi itsmeh,

I checked the video and also found the same result that you got. Where 3 pages in the PDF were expected, 15 were created (each group had 5 layers).

The steps I followed were the same as shown in the video. Not exactly the whole thing, I just created 3 groups with 5 layers each, which is enough to test the purpose of the video.

Reading the comments, other people had the same problem.

Most chose to merge the layers in each group before creating the PDF.

Okay, it will work merging the layers, but ... the video clearly implies that the PDF was generated without merging the layers.

Maybe some different feature in his version of Gimp, maybe he's magical, maybe ...  Dodgy
His PDF export dialog (left) is slightly different from the one in 2.10.14 (right), so this functionality could have changed...

(03-10-2021, 05:58 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: His PDF export dialog (left) is slightly different from the one in 2.10.14 (right), so this functionality could have changed...

In my Gimp 2.10.21 Samj's portable, the dialogue is identical to the one on the right.

Edit:
Op's ... not really!

There is an inversion between the Cancel and Export buttons.

Ah, thaaaank you all!!!
So, I am fortunately not stupid. *laugh*
I'm using Gimp 2.10.22 - sooooo, I guess, it's a bug? Or maybe anything similar?
Leastways you could reproduce my "mistake" and I'm not guilty. Hahaha.

Well, I guess I always have to save my project before I merge everything and export itself as pdf - page by page by page ... etc!
But it's okay, because you could proof I'm not stupid. :-)
(03-10-2021, 07:51 PM)itsmeh Wrote: [...]

Well, I guess I always have to save my project before I merge everything and export itself as pdf - page by page by page ... etc!

There is no need to merge layer by layer (page by page by page, etc.).

• Disable the visualization of all Layer Groups, except one. 
• In that layer group with the visualization enabled, click on this layer with the right mouse button, and in the pop-up window click on Merge Visible Layers ...
• Disable the view of this layer and enable the view of another Group of layers and do the same as the previous step.
• Repeat this process for each layer group and at the end you will have only the pages of the PDF as layers.
(03-10-2021, 07:51 PM)itsmeh Wrote: I'm using Gimp 2.10.22 - sooooo, I guess, it's a bug? Or maybe anything similar?

Any number of bug reports typically: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/4564
..but it seems to be a function of the cairo rendering library used and outside the Gimp developers scope.

Truthfully, Gimp makes awful PDF's. Over large file size because of the internal format used and if you do keep text as a layer, beware the font metrics are not saved with the PDF. Defaults are used if the font is not available.

Quote:Well, I guess I always have to save my project before I merge everything and export itself as pdf - page by page by page ... etc!

Yes that is the way to go, another is new from visible and use those layers to aggregate the multi-page PDF.
(03-10-2021, 07:51 PM)itsmeh Wrote: Ah, thaaaank you all!!!
So, I am fortunately not stupid. *laugh*
I'm using Gimp 2.10.22 - sooooo, I guess, it's a bug? Or maybe anything similar?

As said above, you can use my script to flatten everything at level X and below,  and so have one layer per page...