Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export to PDF error
Photo 
I have made a business card in GIMP and i need to export it to PDF for the printers. 

First, I tired to export it with all the layers still in the image. Exporting that that resulted in all my text bunched up.. A jolly mess. 

So, I 'Merged Visible Layers' on the whole thing and exported that. 

That almost worked, but the output pdf has added white space to the right and under the image.  Around 4 pixels to the right. And a 1 pixel row across the bottom. 

How can I fix this?? 

Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice collection of operating systems you are using Wink Which is your main one ?  It does help.

Quote:I have made a business card in GIMP and i need to export it to PDF for the printers. 
First, I tired to export it with all the layers still in the image. Exporting that that resulted in all my text bunched up.. A jolly mess. 
So, I 'Merged Visible Layers' on the whole thing and exported that.

First this one. With the best of intentions, the Gimp developers 'updated' PDF export to embed text as a 'font' which should give a better result than as a bitmap. Unfortunately the font metrics are not embedded in the PDF. Open the PDF in other than GIMP and if the font file, the something.ttf, is not installed, the system default font is used resulting in scrambled text.

The solution is convert the text layer to a bitmap or as you did flatten the image. The PDF is then a single bitmap image.

Quote:....the output PDF has added white space to the right and under the image.  Around 4 pixels to the right. And a 1 pixel row across the bottom. 
How can I fix this??

No real fix, just an understanding. All to do with unit conversions.
You do not give any details of card size, the intended print size , Gimp size in pixels & resolution (ppi)  Did you get a template from the printer? Might look like this, typical psd file from printing company. 
Left side is the PDF information from Gimp export.  Right side Gimp 3 1/2 " x 2" card with 1/8" margins added for cut and bleed.  That gives a Gimp image size in pixels of 1125 x 675 @ 300 ppi (quality printing resolution)

If you open Image -> Print Size checking with inches as units: 3.75" x 2.25" which is correct. Changing the units to millimetres, gives 95.25 x 57.15  and that 0.25 and 0.15 mm is your 'extra' 3 and 2 pixels, seen in your PDF viewer. These are in the bleed area. They get cut off by the printer (if they exist at all)

You can make a template that is 95 x 57 mm (almost) @ 300 ppi. The Gimp image size is now 1122 x 673 (those extra pixels) No difference to the PDF properties, but now not quite the size in inches.

My advice, 
(1) Just leave as-is.
(2) Do not use Gimp for making biz-cards. Small text renders very light. Not wonderful. You can improve small text by 'doubling-up' text layers.
(3) Inkscape v1 makes a better PDF.  Text is correctly embedded.  Vector graphics better than bitmap for logo's etc. although you can use your Gimp drawn logo.
(4) If the printer needs CMYK colour, both Gimp and Inkscape are RGB, use Scribus.
Windows 10 was not an option to select. So I ticked a bunch of them (in frustration) Wink

Thanks for an excellent response. In the end I exported it as PNG, and went to Vistaprint, uploaded it there, and my business cards are coming in a few days.

Not ideal, but eh, I needed it done.

In future I'll start with Inkscape.

Thanks again