Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export to .ico not working correctly
Hi,

I have a 32x32 image that I'm trying to export as an .ico file, but the result doesn't look like the preview during the export process.
Why would that be?
I have merged several layers into one layer, and I'm simply choosing that single, merged layer to export. (Not even trying to do the multi-size thing.)
The resulting file looks like a different layer that I didn't even specify during export. ???

Very confused.
thanks for any help.
(03-24-2022, 02:45 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote: I have merged several layers into one layer, and I'm simply choosing that single, merged layer to export. (Not even trying to do the multi-size thing.)
The resulting file looks like a different layer that I didn't even specify during export. ???

So you had several layers,  merged a few of those into one layer, while leaving other layers unmerged, and you wish to export the merged layer as an independent image?

Have you tried copying the layer you wish to export, pasting that copy "as a new image"...and then exporting that? (just a way to declutter your export source)

(03-24-2022, 04:33 PM)rickk Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 02:45 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote: I have merged several layers into one layer, and I'm simply choosing that single, merged layer to export. (Not even trying to do the multi-size thing.)

So you had several layers,  merged a few of those into one layer, while leaving other layers unmerged, and you wish to export the merged layer as an independent image?

Have you tried copying the layer you wish to export, pasting that copy "as a new image"...and then exporting that? (just a way to declutter your export source)

I have not done that, but I'm also not fully understanding what you're describing.  Do you mean exporting that one layer to a file (like a .gif? or .png?) and then doing something with that file?  If that is required - it seems like an [unnecessarily] circuitous process - just to take a layer and create an .ico file. I understand .ico files often (should?) have multiple images within them, but it does seem like I should be able to take one layer and say - "...create an .ico from this."  So, I'm still unclear on how to do this.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  ...oh well...  I guess I need more specific steps as a newbie - I'm not getting it still....  sorry --- and thanks for the help!
(03-24-2022, 04:57 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote: I have not done that, but I'm also not fully understanding what you're describing.  Do you mean exporting that one layer to a file (like a .gif? or .png?) and then doing something with that file?  If that is required - it seems like an [unnecessarily] circuitous process - just to take a layer and create an .ico file. I understand .ico files often (should?) have multiple images within them, but it does seem like I should be able to take one layer and say - "...create an .ico from this."  So, I'm still unclear on how to do this.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  ...oh well...  I guess I need more specific steps as a newbie - I'm not getting it still....  sorry --- and thanks for the help!

I'm just trying to visualize what you are doing that is producing more information in your exported ico file, than you desire (your comment about the result looking like "a different layer" other than the one you are specifying)

SO, I'm visualizing you having an image comprised of multiple layers, and you are just trying to export one of those layers?

Is that true, or false?

If true, then first Select that layer,  then go up to your "edit" menu, select "copy".   Then, also in the edit menu, select "paste as" and then "new image"

Creating an autonomous image that you can then export, free of any undesired layers.

If the answer to my  question is false, then I'm not understanding your goal properly

(03-24-2022, 05:32 PM)rickk Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 04:57 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote: I have not done that, but I'm also not fully understanding what you're describing.  Do you mean exporting that one layer to a file (like a .gif? or .png?) and then doing something with that file?  If that is required - it seems like an [unnecessarily] circuitous process - just to take a layer and create an .ico file. I understand .ico files often (should?) have multiple images within them, but it does seem like I should be able to take one layer and say - "...create an .ico from this."  So, I'm still unclear on how to do this.  It shouldn't be this difficult.  ...oh well...  I guess I need more specific steps as a newbie - I'm not getting it still....  sorry --- and thanks for the help!

I'm just trying to visualize what you are doing that is producing more information in your exported ico file, than you desire (your comment about the result looking like "a different layer" other than the one you are specifying)

SO, I'm visualizing you having an image comprised of multiple layers, and you are just trying to export one of those layers?

Is that true, or false?

If true, then first Select that layer,   then go up to your "edit" menu, select "copy".   Then, also in the edit menu, select "paste as" and then "new image"

Creating an autonomous image that you can then export, free of any undesired layers.

If the answer to my  question is false, then I'm not understanding your goal properly
That is right on... 

I have multiple layers, and I've actually already used the 'New from Visible' to control which layers I want 'together' in yet another layer.  So, I have one layer that has what I'm after.  I expected to make just THAT layer visible, and then hit export, choose .ico as the extension (...which strangely is not a choice from a list, instead - one must type it in -- kinda strange IMHO...), but anyway - I expected it to then generate the .ico file from that visible layer, or perhaps at least list the layers and let me choose which ones would be in the .ico file - but it never asks - it apparently assumes I want ALL layers in the GIMP file --- which seems unreasonable to me.  Even stranger - I've had cases where it showed me a 'preview' of what I would be generating (sometimes, not always - still haven't unwrapped that mystery either...) - but then the file itself -when viewed in file explorer in windows - had some *other* image - from an undesired layer - something other than what was shown in the preview image. 

So, the resulting file had the wrong icon for itself in windows explorer, and stranger yet, when I double-clicked on the file - the image was actually right --- really weird. How can its contents be different than what is presented on the screen?  Really weird to me.  And, as if that wasn't enough, changing the windows file explorer view options among Extra Large, Large, and Medium icons had yet further strange results --- with different things being displayed for each. Wow. 

So - I guess - you basically CANNOT create an .ico file directly from the GIMP file that you have done the work in.  It seems you have to create some *other* file and then use THAT to create the .ico file.  Strange, and inconvenient - especially considering that when I used .tiff - it THEN let me choose the layers to export.  Why not just provide that right from the Gimp file?  I admit I'm new, but wow - this seems difficult, inconvenient, non-intuitive, and confusing.  Thank you for your advice - it has led me to a working process - but good grief - this seems circuitous!  Thanks again!
Just a couple quick things.  First regarding your claim to be unable to select .ico as an export format, look in the attached screenshot and you'll see the file type you should select for export "Microsoft Windows icon" (red arrow)

And also notice the advisory message in the export dialog informing you that icons AND compression are not supported in all image viewers. That might be explaining the different results you are finding with different viewers.

You can uncheck the Compressed (PNG) check box (other red arrow) and then the advisory (as well as compression) will go away.

Lastly, I've always preferred the Greenfish Icon Editor program for editing windows icons.  I don't know if that will suit your purpose, but if you are unfamiliar with it, you should look into it, just to have options. [Image: smile.png]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-24-2022, 07:47 PM)rickk Wrote: Just a couple quick things.  First regarding your claim to be unable to select .ico  as an export format, look in the attached screenshot and you'll see the file type you should select for export "Microsoft Windows icon" (red arrow)

And also notice the advisory message in the export dialog informing you that icons AND compression are not supported in all image viewers. That might be explaining the different results you are finding with different viewers.

You can uncheck the Compressed (PNG) check box (other red arrow) and then the advisory (as well as compression) will go away.

Lastly, I've always preferred the Greenfish Icon Editor program for editing windows icons.  I don't know if that will suit your purpose, but if you are unfamiliar with it, you should look into it, just to have options. [Image: smile.png]

Cool ---
Thanks for the info!
So - Funny thing --- the way the GUI is designed - I never would have clicked on that "Select File Type (By Extension)" item - As it had a box there, and appeared to be already "checked" (with a weird white plus-sign - which I've never seen used in Windows - ever.). In fact, I was mystified as to what that control even meant!  It is very unclear as to whether something has been picked already or not, and also unclear that clicking on it would do anything.  Oh well --- that is why I never found that list.
On that other item -I did see that warning - and I have no idea what the actual ramifications of that will be or could be. It could indeed be the reason for the odd behavior I saw.  I have a little suspicion that it is driven by the fact that numerous layers are in there, and there's just no control over which ones get 'chosen' to view.  (I will say that even after exporting to a .tiff and then using it to create the .ico file has still resulted in different things being presented at different View As XL, L, M, or S settings for the Windows Explorer.  My expectation is that to control that, I'll need to have a .tiff that has the different sizes explicitly in there? Just guessing.)
I will look into Greenfish since I am particularly focused on icons at the moment.
Thanks again!
(03-24-2022, 05:55 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote: So - I guess - you basically CANNOT create an .ico file directly from the GIMP file that you have done the work in.  It seems you have to create some *other* file and then use THAT to create the .ico file.  Strange, and inconvenient - especially considering that when I used .tiff - it THEN let me choose the layers to export.  Why not just provide that right from the Gimp file?  I admit I'm new, but wow - this seems difficult, inconvenient, non-intuitive, and confusing.  Thank you for your advice - it has led me to a working process - but good grief - this seems circuitous!  Thanks again!

I just noticed  that with a multi layered gif file, I can turn visibility off for a layer, and then export the file and have only the visible layers shown in the exported image.

But, I've never done it that way.  I'm kind of a knuckledragger in that regard, I'm more than willing  to invest a couple extra mouse clicks to force an application to heed to my wishes.

So, I guess  what you consider to be "difficult, inconvenient, and confusing"...I find to be "reassuring"?  Wink

Eliminate ALL potential outcomes other  than the one I desire.

Hope all works out to your satisfaction.

(03-24-2022, 08:21 PM)rickk Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 05:55 PM)PapaBear1 Wrote: So - I guess - you basically CANNOT create an .ico file directly from the GIMP file that you have done the work in.  It seems you have to create some *other* file and then use THAT to create the .ico file.  Strange, and inconvenient - especially considering that when I used .tiff - it THEN let me choose the layers to export.  Why not just provide that right from the Gimp file?  I admit I'm new, but wow - this seems difficult, inconvenient, non-intuitive, and confusing.  Thank you for your advice - it has led me to a working process - but good grief - this seems circuitous!  Thanks again!

I just noticed  that with a multi layered gif file, I can turn visibility off for a layer, and then export the file and have only the visible layers shown in the exported image.

But, I've never done it that way.  I'm kind of a knuckledragger in that regard, I'm more than willing  to invest a couple extra mouse clicks to force an application to heed to my wishes.

So, I guess  what you consider to be "difficult, inconvenient, and confusing"...I find to be "reassuring"?  Wink

Eliminate ALL potential outcomes other  than the one I desire.

Hope all works out to your satisfaction.

Interesting - for the .gif files eh?  I (rather arbitrarily) used .tiff - only because I happened to notice that it had the option of including layers.  I did experiment with trying to create what I wanted during export to .tiff - by turning OFF the layers. That too appeared to only include what was visible - so for now, I'm thinking I'll do that - since that will also help me avoid having to create *another* gimp file - that has only the desired [single] layer.  (But this does beg the question - if one can send only visible layers to .gif and to .tiff - why not .ico? I just don't see the reason for forcing the extra steps of creating some other file, opening that file, and then exporting again to an .ico...)
Papabear said:   (But this does beg the question - if one can send only visible layers to .gif and to .tiff - why not .ico? I just don't see the reason for forcing the extra steps of creating some other file, opening that file, and then exporting again to an .ico...)

I think I have the solution you are looking for.  After you finish compositing the layer you intend to have visible, just drag it to the bottom of your layer stack, before exporting as an .ico file
As depicted in the attached ...below,  in the layers dialog on the far right.   You want the image you intend to have visible sitting in the slot that I've named "Bottom"
And then be sure in your export dialog to have a color depth specified for that layer (as I've specified " 8 bpp, 1-bit alpha, 256-slot palette"
And you'll be all set. The layers you've made invisible will be preserved, just not able to interfere with your image.
[Image: aDf9I9w.png]