Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exported ico files not behaving properly
I am using a Windows 10 machine and I tried to customise a folder icon using an .ico file from GIMP. It get stretched across the x axis. Y remain fine. Any ideas why ? I am using a 64x64 px size PNG and ICO.

original

[Image: ZvXfU6J.png]

Attached Files
.zip   folder.zip (Size: 4.86 KB / Downloads: 164)
I do not really understand the question Wink

Is it the 64 x 64 png (or ico) when exported as an ico (or png) loses the transparent borders and becomes 38x65 pix ?

What exactly are you doing ? Give your work flow ?
Hi admin. I got this above big image through Blender. Then I made it 256x256 (this time), opened in GIMP and exported it as folder.ico

Now I used that particular ICO file through right click > properties >customise > change icon

Now I selected the ICO output from GIMP. It should look like a normal icon, but it got stretched across the Y axis, as seen below

The icon file you attached is not square. It is actually 35*64 so the stretch has an explanation.

A possibility is that the icon export exports the layers as they are (a .ICO is actually a set of image if various sizes, so one layer for each) and therefore doesn't care about the canvas size like other image exports.

So possibly what you just need to do is Layer > Layer to image size before the export to make sure the layer is 64x64.
Thanks, I tried the method you suggested and it works in fixing the Y axis stretch. But it is the opposite now. Please see

Quote:.. I got this above big image through Blender. Then I made it 256x256 (this time), opened in GIMP and exported it as folder.ico

If I understand that correctly, the big image is 589 x 1014 pix.
So, to make it square, first Image -> Canvas size width & height 1014 > center it > Fill with Transparency.
as: https://i.imgur.com/LhqTn4M.jpg
Then scale it down to 256 x 256 pix and export as an ico
Thanks @rich2005, the same in post 3 happens on both 64px and 256 px. ie, it is stretched along the y axis. Not sure why. Attaching the ICOs

I made a 96x96px image and merged down bg and folder layers. Works fine now. Thanks.

Attached Files
.zip   Pictures.zip (Size: 47.92 KB / Downloads: 89)
Another day...and you seem to have it fixed, however.

(1) I f you scale an asymmetric image, this case the width less than the height, without breaking the link between width & height then the result is also asymmetric (you got 148 x 256)

(2) Scale and break the link between width and height to give a 'square' image (256 x 256) and the image is distorted, in this case the width is stretched.

(3) As previous post, increase the size of the canvas to 'square' before scaling down to...256 or 64. example: https://i.imgur.com/4UDcym2.mp4 or in your case merge with a 'square' layer, either way the canvas size rules.
Got it, thanks. I was somehow skipping the base layer while exporting and causing the stretch. Merging everything into one layer worked for me. Smile

Are you familiar with how to change all normal folder icons to one of our choice ? I mean, we need to customise one by one now.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/win...w=msvc-160

I saw this, but I couldn't understand what they are saying...