Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exporting for facebook - blurred image
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to gimp, going fast through the learning curve and (more or less) getting done what I need done.

However, one point where I'm failing dramatically is in the quality of the exports. I look at gimp and the image looks great, but when I export it into either jpg/png/whatever, try to set all settings to maximum quality and the result is still not optimal:

https://www.facebook.com/clinicadentalel...=3&theater

Pixel is 1100x680 (From memory) which I was given as the ideal size for facebook.

Any advice as to how to get a better resolution?

Thanks
Its probably related to Facebook's internal compression.

Not much you can do about. Use lossless compression like png, because when you use lossy compression like jpg, it will get compressed twice.

When it comes to text on plain backgrounds, some colours work better than others.
You can test this by exporting as jpg with a low quality setting and see what happens.

Some people say that adding noise to the image, counteracts the artifacts, but i havent got good results with this method.
(05-04-2018, 07:21 PM)SerDom Wrote: Hi all,

I'm a newbie to gimp, going fast through the learning curve and (more or less) getting done what I need done.

However, one point where I'm failing dramatically is in the quality of the exports. I look at gimp and the image looks great, but when I export it into either jpg/png/whatever, try to set all settings to maximum quality and the result is still not optimal:

https://www.facebook.com/clinicadentalel...=3&theater

Pixel is 1100x680 (From memory) which I was given as the ideal size for facebook.

Any advice as to how to get a better resolution?

Thanks

Likely a Facebook re-compression. Don't use hearsay, Facebook publishes guidelines for images sizes. Find them and follow them.

Last I read was that they will recompress everything to JPEG so that it is less than 100K. That would mean that you have better create the 100K- JPEG image yourself. But even this is 2nd hand (3rd hand for you) so find their current rules.