Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fade image to white
I am trying to get background images for a PPT and need the image to fade from solid or nearly solid white on the left to no white about mid 16:9 image (I am overlaying blue text). I keep trying various combinations of settings, but the best I can do still ends up with a discernible edge at the end of the fade. Or, there is a thin white line near the end  of the fade.
(05-02-2020, 05:23 PM)Thorski Wrote: I am trying to get background images for a PPT and need the image to fade from solid or nearly solid white on the left to no white about mid 16:9 image (I am overlaying blue text). I keep trying various combinations of settings, but the best I can do still ends up with a discernible edge at the end of the fade. Or, there is a thin white line near the end  of the fade.

how do you proceed to do this ?

Try this :
1) set the foreground color to white and background color to black
2) duplicate the background layer
3) fill this new layer with white color
4) add a layer mask to it
5) add a vertical guide where you want the end of fade
6) use the gradient tool on the layer mask

I started a 'how-to' about adjusting a gradient on-canvas, but it got very terdious Wink  Unfortunately the Gimp 2.10 help still refers to the original editor rather than on-canvas.

So I think you could use a white-to-transparent gradient but with a couple of stops added to divide the canvas up left mostly white, right mostly transparent.

I will attach a gradient might / might not be useful. Goes in your user gradients folder. Unzip and put white-to-transparent.ggr in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\gradients.

Apply across the canvas, adjust stops and center-point sliders to suit.  example: https://i.imgur.com/AiBCFLN.mp4

Attached Files
.zip   white-to-transparent.zip (Size: 353 bytes / Downloads: 135)