Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Fatal Error: Unhandled Exception"
Ever since a few months ago, I've had this issue where the two functions: saving a file and using the scale tool take exceedingly long amount of times to complete, and often result in the error message "Fatal Error: Unhandled Exception" which then causes the app to become unusable and unresponsive (so it must be manually turned off through the task manager) and also causes me to lose all my work since my last save.
Before the issue my file saving and scaling was quick, maybe a second maximum, and I used to save my work almost compulsively, every few strokes or changes while working, but now it takes between 30 seconds to a minute (even for the smallest changes!)
I don't know when or what exactly caused this issue (I have a feeling it might've been a certain application update or Windows update but I'm not sure), this just started happening one day out of the blue and for the past few months I've been dealing with this bug.
Has anyone here ever dealt with this problem before and/or knows how to fix it?
I've searched the internet for this problem, but this seems to be a pretty rare issue. Most instances of this error I've found online happen upon startup, and not during the times I receive the message.
I also use Windows 10 64-bit, always updated to the latest version, and I use Gimp 2.10.14 (not sure if that's the latest version).
  • What is the size of the images (width × height) in pixels, and the number of layers?
  • What is the RAM size of the image (at the bottom of the image display)
  • What is the tile cache size set to (Edit>Preferences>System resources>Resource consumption)
  • Is OpenCL enabled (Edit>Preferences>System resources>Hardware acceleration)
  • How much RAM is reported by Windows?
(01-15-2021, 08:50 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
  • What is the size of the images (width × height) in pixels, and the number of layers?
  • What is the RAM size of the image (at the bottom of the image display)
  • What is the tile cache size set to (Edit>Preferences>System resources>Resource consumption)
  • Is OpenCL enabled (Edit>Preferences>System resources>Hardware acceleration)
  • How much RAM is reported by Windows?

Here are some examples of my usual file size
  • [5400x4000] (18 layers, usually 5 visible at a time) - About 70% of the time I get a crash (size of edit doesn't matter, I could change one pixel and boom, crash)
  • [4000x5671] (hundreds of layers, mostly text (up to 100 text layers visible at a time), excluding text layers it's probably 20 or so layers, and five of them are visible at a time)
  • [3840x2630] (hundreds of layers, mostly text (up to 50 text layers visible at a time), excluding text layers it's probably 20 or so layers, and five of them are visible at a time) - Maybe 5% of the time I experience a crash
  • [2720x1890] (32 layers, usually 5 visible at a time) - 100% crash rate for a few months now
What's weird though is that this issue started one day very abruptly, I used to be able to use these files on this computer (6 GB RAM) without facing a crash at all, with quick save speeds (less than five seconds). Then one day, I got this error, and then had it again and again and again.

On smaller files than this one, I still have trouble saving, but I usually don't have to worry about facing a crash.

RAM of image ranges between 900 MB and 2 GB. This has remained constant since before I worried about these crashes.

Tile Cache is set to 3 Gigabytes.

I've never tried CL before

How much RAM? Without using Gimp, 50 - 60%, When using Gimp, between 60% - 70% out of 6 GB, upon saving, it skyrockets up to 90% - 95% and stays there for about a minute as the computer tries to save it.
Ran a good RAM test lately? such a memory-intensive app could be a bit more sensitive to RAM problems than the regular crop.
What disk is your page file on? How much disk space is free on that disk?

It sounds like something is causing thrashing to me. Does your drive light up when you start the save and stay lit until it is done, with little flicker? That can be from numerous things, but low disk space is a common one. Bad disk areas can cause it as well, if the spot that went bad is in the page file. To check this you can use many tools but I like Defraggler from CCleaner. Just go to advanced in the Defraggler IDE and elect "Check disk for errors". It can also speed things up slightly by making larger files read in a logical manner instead of being scattered randomly on the drive.

- E
(01-16-2021, 05:35 PM)eepjr24 Wrote: What disk is your page file on? How much disk space is free on that disk?

It sounds like something is causing thrashing to me. Does your drive light up when you start the save and stay lit until it is done, with little flicker? That can be from numerous things, but low disk space is a common one. Bad disk areas can cause it as well, if the spot that went bad is in the page file. To check this you can use many tools but I like Defraggler from CCleaner. Just go to advanced in the Defraggler IDE and elect "Check disk for errors". It can also speed things up slightly by making larger files read in a logical manner instead of being scattered randomly on the drive.

- E

I actually keep most of my files on a USB with 64 GB storage (6 GB is free). The computer I use, though, has a 1 TB Hard Disk Drive with 400 GB free.

Upon saving or uploading files, the USB stick lights up and blinks continuously until it is finished, but this has been a feature of the USB ever since I first got it.

(01-16-2021, 01:03 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Ran a good RAM test lately? such a memory-intensive app could be a bit more sensitive to RAM problems than the regular crop.

I haven't run a RAM test ever since getting the computer about five years ago. Can you tell me some good places I can take one?
(01-17-2021, 11:18 PM)Abdullah Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 05:35 PM)eepjr24 Wrote: What disk is your page file on? How much disk space is free on that disk?

- E

I actually keep most of my files on a USB with 64 GB storage (6 GB is free). The computer I use, though, has a 1 TB Hard Disk Drive with 400 GB free.

Upon saving or uploading files, the USB stick lights up and blinks continuously until it is finished, but this has been a feature of the USB ever since I first got it.

(01-16-2021, 01:03 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Ran a good RAM test lately? such a memory-intensive app could be a bit more sensitive to RAM problems than the regular crop.

I haven't run a RAM test ever since getting the computer about five years ago. Can you tell me some good places I can take one?

The canonical test (included in Linux install CDs, among other places): https://www.memtest86.com/