Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
choose Coloring the entire image or the active layer
Someone who knows the logic / systematics for when GIMP color the entire images (i.e. all layers) and when it is only the active layer? (with tools like "pencil"
For me it's a matter of luck. So once in a while I'm lucky: That is-  if I only want to color within an active layer, then it is also what happens
But.... I'd like to be able to be in control of the situation myself ;Wink
Tools and Filters in Gimp 2.10 always affect only one layer : the active layer.
There is no way to apply something on several layers at once.
(01-10-2023, 10:34 AM)tmanni Wrote: Tools and Filters in Gimp 2.10 always affect only one layer : the active layer.
There is no way to apply something on several layers at once.

THANKS

Does it only apply from 2.10?

I imagine I've found myself at the most annoying times that I've selected a layer (smaller than the underlying layer) and want to "free-paint" - and then I paint the underlying layers as well

BUT... Can't reproduce it at the moment, I must "confess"  (BUT tonight.....)
(01-10-2023, 11:23 AM)T-buch Wrote: Does it only apply from 2.10?

No, this behavior is the same since the first release.

In the incoming Gimp 3.0, "active layer" is replaced by "selected layers".
So filters and transform tools can be applied to several layers at once.
But paint tools are still limited to one layer only.
Different things can affect all layers in a layer group ( Text can be modified in layer groups) but if you want the colour the same on all layers the quickest way to do it is do 1, then duplicate that one as many times as you need.

I think you will find it may happen on a layer you do not have on top. You can only paint on the selected layer, even if you have a number of layers and the bottom one is selected, it will be the one painted on

Smile