Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Feature request] Include resizing in Export options
When I use export, I often have to export within certain file size limitations.
Sometimes to achieve this, I need to resize the image.

At this moment, when I see on exporting the file size is too large, I need to cancel the export, resize and then export again.
This also has the disadvantage that I have to Undo the resize after export, when I don't want the original to be smaller.

I think resizing should be considered an option that is available on export.
After all, if you export/render video, or audio, it is standard procedure to define the screen size (video) or samplerate/bitrate (audio) in any program around.
Why shouldn't this be the case for images?
(03-24-2024, 11:29 AM)Aszazin Wrote: When I use export, I often have to export within certain file size limitations.

..snip...

After all, if you export/render video, or audio, it is standard procedure to define the screen size (video) or samplerate/bitrate (audio) in any program around.

Which format do you use for export ? The file size provision is already there for jpeg format, (you need to know file size <> quality values)

Most of the other formats are lossless and yes you might need to resize the image to get a smaller file size. There might be a plugin for this but I do not remember one.

If you want that as a feature then the place to request is not here, it is  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues
Mostly jpg or png

But I'm talking about the image size (pixel dimensions).
Not about the file size. Images are uploaded to a site which compresses & resizes them a second time. It's better to avoid high jpg compression in these cases. If it the file size can't be achieved within the given image dimensions, it's better to lower the image size, than to compress it more using jpg.

(03-24-2024, 11:56 AM)rich2005 Wrote: If you want that as a feature then the place to request is not here, it is  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

Thanks, I did that.
Quote:...I often have to export within certain file size limitations.

Generally
file size = the size of the file in bytes when exported to disk.
If you mean the dimension of the image then using image size (width x height) is less ambiguous.

Edit: This goes part way. A plug-in that will export a copy at a reduced size that the user sets.

https://github.com/akkana/gimp-plugins/b...r/saver.py

Edit again: Some time since I tried this, but if the scaled image name is the same as the original image name, then the plugin first exports the full image size followed by the scaled image overwriting the original. Dangerous but does what you want.
(03-24-2024, 11:29 AM)Aszazin Wrote: When I use export, I often have to export within certain file size limitations.

At this moment, when I see on exporting the file size is too large, I need to cancel the export, resize and then export again.
This also has the disadvantage that I have to Undo the resize after export, when I don't want the original to be smaller.

Sample rate in audio is much closer in concept to the JPEG quality. Changing the image size is more like playing the music faster so that the duration is shorter file is under a given size?
In the general case, scaling down an image introduces blur and artifacts. And there are other ways than scaling, perhaps a crop is also a viable solution. And usually people aim for a given size.
You can use the Shellout.py plugin in combination with Riot. Use 'compress to size' (right below the Riot screen).

https://riot-optimizer.com