Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File export default type
I am using Gimp 2.10.32 and have set my file export default type as jpg in Preferences/Image Import & Export but I still have to select from the image type list when using Export As.  How should I set the default type?
Works for me. What counts is the extension added in the name. The image type list is just a filter to show existing images of a given type, not terribly useful when saving.
(07-11-2022, 07:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Works for me. What counts is the extension added in the name. The image type list is just a filter to show existing images of  a given type, not terribly useful when saving.

Many thanks for the reply. The extension in the name field on the Export As page obstinately remains the same as the original, no matter what I set as the default in  Preferences/Image Import & Export.
Another "restriction" is that this applies only to images that are exported "from scratch" (or from an XCF). If the image is marked "imported" in the title bar, Gimp will by default do the exports with the same type. For instance:
  • I set the default export type to OpenRaster
  • I open a PNG, it says "imported" in the title bar
  • "File > Export As": extension is still PNG
  • "File > Save": saved as XCF, title bar no longer says "imported"
  • "File > Export As": extension is ORA
The "imported" status is also thrown away by "Image > Duplicate"
  • Open PNG (title bar says "imported")
  • Image > Duplicate (title bar says nothing)
  • "File > Export As" on original : extension is still PNG
  • "File > Export As" on duplicate : extension is ORA
(07-12-2022, 09:43 AM)OldGimp Wrote: ]

Many thanks for the reply. The extension in the name field on the Export As page obstinately remains the same as the original, no matter what I set as the default in  Preferences/Image Import & Export.

I submitted a GIMP Merge Request sometime ago to add an option to always offer the default file type (extension) in the same section where you set the default. This would be useful if you were, for example, reading tif files but exporting jpegs. Currently this MR is scheduled for 2.99.12 (but it was previously scheduled for 2.99.10 and was bumped)

(As has been noted the current behaviour is as intended - the default extension is basically only used if a new file has been created or you opened an xcf file. Before I submitted a successful change to get this behaviour it always offer png)
Many thanks for the explanations.