Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floating Shadow On Top of My Pasted Object
I am attempting to cut an object out of one picture, paste it onto the background of another picture, and add a drop shadow to make it look more realistic.

The problem is, the drop shadow is not only visible on the edges of the object, the shadow is visible over the object too.

I can't figure out how to move the pasted object forward, over the shadow. When I go Layer>Stack>Raise Layer....Raise Layer is greyed out. 

Right now the object is a "Floating Selection (Pasted Layer)". I tried anchoring it, but "Raise Layer" is still greyed out.

How do I get the drop shadow behind the object Ive pasted onto my picture?

PDF attached (GIMP file wouldnt fit)

Attached Files
.pdf   practice.pdf (Size: 627.27 KB / Downloads: 322)
Make the "Floating selection" a layer of its own. After the paste, use Layer>To new layer (or Ctrl-Shift-N)
(09-21-2017, 05:32 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Make the "Floating selection" a layer of its own. After the paste, use Layer>To new layer (or Ctrl-Shift-N)

Thanks! It worked.

Any general tips for making the pasted image look more natural against the background? If you look at the framed picture I pasted onto the background, its very obvious that its been added, unlike the picture on the right that was already in the background picture.
Your attachment is missing, I do not think these tips might be applicable to your image, but anyway....

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Shadow...op-shadows
(09-21-2017, 05:45 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Your attachment is missing, I do not think these tips might be applicable to your image, but anyway....

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Shadow...op-shadows

Woops. Couldn't get the GIMP file to attach to so I just used the pdf.
Quote:...Any general tips for making the pasted image look more natural against the background?

Not much. Depends on how you intend the framed painting. Looks to me like the canvas is standing proud of the frame. Is that correct?

If a regular framed painting, the ambient lighting top left to bottom right and quite strong, might cause some shadow from the frame onto the canvas, maybe some highlights on the frame and a small light-to-dark gradient across the canvas.

On the other hand, looks ok to me Wink