Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Histograms
Hi 
I am trying to use the histogram to carry out some editing of some of my photos. I select the histogram dialogue box from Windows / Dockable Dialogues and anchor it to my Dock where I want it or sometimes I will drag it and have it showing on the screen adjacent to the photo being edited. However, each time I select a slider to adjust e.g. Shadows and Hi lites the histogram shuts down (Disappears from the Dock or screen) hence I cannot see what adjustments are being made to the photo when I move a slider. 
Any help appreciated please.

You can adjust your colours in the levels section under colour, which is how I do it. Try auto input levels first.
Then the other drop down channels if needed
Red  (opposite is green)
Green (opposite is magenta)
Blue (opposite is yellow)

Smile
(05-23-2023, 04:55 AM)gazza Wrote: ....snip... I select the histogram dialogue box from Windows / Dockable Dialogues and anchor it to my Dock where I want it or sometimes I will drag it and have it showing on the screen adjacent to the photo being edited. However, each time I select a slider to adjust e.g. Shadows and Hi lites the histogram shuts down (Disappears from the Dock or screen) hence I cannot see what adjustments are being made to the photo when I move a slider. 

You have detached the histogram dock, so it is now a floating window. It is on top as long as it is active. Select some other window and it "pops-under" Still there but under the main Gimp window.

Solutions:
Put Gimp into multi-window mode Gimp Windows Menu -> untick single window mode. Make some space for the histogram dock so it is visible when using another tool.
Edit: By default Gimp "remembers" the last Window positions. A good idea when Gimp is in single window mode is lock it so that when you close and re-open Gimp it is back to your settings. In Gimp Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Window Management Untick Save Window positions on Exit - then click on Save Window Positions Now

Pin the histogram dock on top using a small utility "deskpins" https://efotinis.neocities.org/deskpins/  (linux users will have some settings for this) 

(05-23-2023, 07:21 AM)rich2005 Wrote: (linux users will have some settings for this) 

In KDE you can always use <Window icon> ➤ More actions ➤ Keep above others, but the really sweet thing is that you can add a button to you title bar to do the same in one click: